Diskeeper won't open...

• broodlum
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • broodlum

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey.
I'm having problems with Diskeeper. When I try to open it I get the following error-message:

"Diskeeper failed to connect to the service. The service may have stopped. Please see the event log for more details."

Sometimes I get this one as well:

"Unable to launch or to connect to Diskeeper Service. Possible causes are: Another Diskeeper process is currently connected to this computer, Diskeeper is not installed correctly, or Diskeeper service is not started correctly. Please exit Diskeeper. Try to stop the existing Diskeeper service or reinstall Diskeeper."

"DkService.exe" is among the running processes in the task manager, the Diskeeper-service is running and I've tried restaring it. I've uninstalled/reinstalled Diskeeper 3 times now but keep getting the same error.

Anyone got a clue how to fix this? Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• broodlum
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • broodlum

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyone? It's the latest version of Diskeeper btw (9.0.504).
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry, but I've been searching for similiar issues without luck. I'm not exactly sure what the problem is. I'll post any possible solutions that I run across.
  • digital.wraith
  • Born
  • Born
  • digital.wraith

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have had this on and off a few times over the years. Originally, only an uninstall... thorough cleaning of my registry and a reinstall resolved it.
Just recently, i discovered that not only does the Diskkeeper service need to be active, but the "eventLog" service (which i had set off and put to "manual" during one of my fine-tuning sessions) needs to be active.

Try going to start >>run >> "services.msc".

Then start the Event Log service, and then Diskeeper, all should be good.

Win XP Pro SP2
DK9 (Version: Diskeeper 2007 (11.0.709.0))

Hope that helps in some fashion.
  • bodom321
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bodom321

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have had that problem before with another defrager that i used "O & O", but what i did to solve was just that, to restart the service everytime that happens, eventually i created i batch file to restart the process each time i had that problem.

just create a simple batch file and type this in it:

net stop "name of the service"
net start "name of the service
exit

use this batch file if you have that problem more than once, otherwise just restart it as digital told you.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a 3 year old post. None of the original posters are here anymore.
  • G_man
  • Born
  • Born
  • G_man

Post 3+ Months Ago

"Unable to launch or to connect to the Diskeeper service. Possible
causes are that another Diskeeper process is currently connected to this computer or Diskeeper is not installed correctly. 0002"

I upgraded from the free trial version to the paid 2009 home edition version of Diskeeper yesterday. I get the above error message. Can someone tell me how to get around this? I uninstalled and reinstalled and that didn't work. I have Vista home premium 32 bit.

Thanks!
  • G_man
  • Born
  • Born
  • G_man

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
It's a 3 year old post. None of the original posters are here anymore.

Hi, can you help me? My post is below yours. I guess this is an old but ongoing problem! I saw advice on Diskeeper's site saying to change Services/Netlogon to "automatic" for Windows 2000. I did it for my Windows Vista but still get the error message. Diskeeper opens up fully about 10 seconds after the errow message appears, but when I click "OK", it closes. What a pain!
  • Moor
  • Born
  • Born
  • Moor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Procedure
The following procedure modifies the COM access permission settings on your computer.
1. Select Start > Run.
2. Type dcomcnfg. Click No for any warning screens that appear. This launches the Component Services dialog.
3. Double-click Component Services.
4. Double-click Computers. My Computer will be listed in the right pane.

5. Right-click My Computer and select Properties. The My Computer Properties dialog opens.
6. Select the Default COM Security tab.

7. In the Access Permissions section, click Edit Default. The Access dialog opens.
8. Make sure you, as the user, or System is listed and the Access Permission check box is selected.

9. If you or System do not have Allow Access next to your name, select the Access Permission check box. Or create a new profile wit the necessary permissions.
a. Click Add. The Select Users or Groups dialog opens.
b. In the Select this object type field, make sure that at least Users is entered. If not, click Object Types and select Users.
c. In the From this location field, make sure your computer name is entered. If it is not, click Locations and select your computer.
d. In the Enter objects name to select field, type a new object. Click OK.
e. In the Access dialog, select the new object.
f. Select the Allow Access check box.
g. Click OK twice.
10. Close the Component Services dialog.
11. Run your installation again.
The following procedure sets the Default Impersonation Level to Identify.
1. Select Start > Run.
2. Type dcomcnfg. Click No for any warning screens that appear. This launches the Component Services dialog (pictured above).
3. Double-click Component Services.
4. Double-click Computers. My Computer will be listed in the right pane.
5. Right-click My Computer and select Properties. The My Computer Properties dialog opens.
6. Select the Default Properties tab (see the figure directly above).
7. The Default Impersonation Level field must be set to Identify.
8. Select Apply and click OK.
  • general714
  • Born
  • Born
  • general714

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just a quick note to say THANKS - been struggling with getting Diskeeper on my work laptop running XP for ages. The advice was perfect, I've now put in a batch file to start and stop DK in my startup programmes and it runs very well indeed. Have tried many other defrag programmes and most suck.

So - Cheers!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts