DNS Setup in Win2k3

• silenttension
  • Born
  • Born
  • silenttension

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I try to setup a delegation or a sub-domain at that, it wont resolve correctly, so basic question, how DO you set up a sub-domain, just in case im doing it wrong...

Thanks,
Matt
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well how are you setting up your sub domain. Do you run your own DNS?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have to create an A record for the child domain. I had to do that with my domain for my own purposes. Fortunately, my host (wich uses a Win 2K server) makes that easy. The child domain points to the same IP as the primary domain. That way it doesn't have to be a "registered" name. It will automatically resolve to the primary domain.

As far as web use, this is a practical example. My primary domain is atnopro.com. I have a couple child domains (created by the above method):
gardendelite.atnopro.com
thehelpdesk.atnopro.com

Both of these child domains resolve to atnopro.com

The problem that is encountered with the web is that these child domains need to be redirected to their own pages. For that I used an ASP script. The tute might give you a better understanding.
http://atnopro.com/help/subdoms/subdomains.html

For networks there are other issues to take into consideration. For additional information I would recomend Mark Minasi's "Windows 2000 Server" book ($59.99 US) - pages 361,365-366,397-400,397-399 discuss this in greater depth.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you use the Apache Web server you are able to setup virtual domains and can easily direct them to load the contents to the directory you want them to read without any scripts. For example I have numerous subdomains for bigwebmaster.com and they all goto the same IP. Apache allows you to easily distinguish them and make them load their own stuff.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

BWM...you gotta look at his original title post. He's using a Win 2003 server (probably trial)...at least that's the way I read it. Can you even use Apache there? I'm not sure...that's why I'm asking.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can use Apache in Windows, but I did not even notice that title. Little slow today.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts