Documents and settings

• ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: somewere over there

Post 3+ Months Ago

Till now ive been redirecting all my files to my seccond hard drive and wanted to know if there a way to take my docuents and setting from C: and put it on my seccond drive
  • nebulae1985
  • nebulae1985

Post 3+ Months Ago

use the win tools !!
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

right click My Documents on the desktop, select properties, then
move. Find your 2nd drive and watch it go! Now anything you
save to My Docs by default will be sent to your 2nd drive.

I use this method on my own machine as well. Hope that helps. :)
  • nebulae1985
  • nebulae1985

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes . That 's right .because my OS language isn't English .so I don't know how to explain it .
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: somewere over there

Post 3+ Months Ago

i went to properties looking for all kinds of stuff but i didnt notice that thanks alot
  • Doublebass1963
  • Born
  • Born
  • Doublebass1963

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you right click and hold it while dragging the folder onto the second hard drives Icon, when you let go of the button a menu should pop up with a few options on it. One of these options is [i]MOVE HERE[/i]. When you click that option it will move all previous content and all future content to the second hard drive.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now, question.

I'm setting up an Office Network at the moment. 4 PCs. 3 of them are currently runnin WinXP (2 will be switched to Win2K Pro), and one is already Win2K Pro (the main server).

Let's say I were to setup 3 shared directories on the Win2K server (one for each of the other 3 machines).

Would I be able to set those remotely shared directories as the target for "My Documents"?

Would I be best mapping the drives, then using the mapped address? (z:\, for example), or would I be best using the full network path? (eg, \\officeserver\sharedmydocs\)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

In fact, is there a way to completely have a whole remote documents & settings directory?

And basically have

\\someserver\docssettings

Mapped to

c:\Documents and Settings\

so that all settings, favourites, documents, etc. are all stored on a single server?
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Isn't that just a roaming profile? You can apparently redirect the special folders in documents and settings using the Group Policy Editor(gpedit.msc), though curiously enough it doesn't show up on my own or my virtual machine I was going to test on(I had been contemplating this over my own home network as a method of having roaming favorites). Will have to work on it later. Not completely certain but I would think you'd need to use //servername/directory as I don't think the mappings are loaded up till towards the end of the user profile being loaded.
Anyway to check if it shows up on yours perhaps its:
User Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Folder Redirection

Good Luck.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts