DOCX File Format

• Bill_Thompson
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have the very latest version of Microsoft Office at work. The Word processing program saves files in a new format called .DOCX. This format is unlike anything. If I open a file in this format in a flat text reader it looks like garbage. I cannot even see the text that I typed. It is or seems to be encrypted. So if I write something at work and I send the file home, I cannot open it and work on it some more.

Does anyone know of any sort of conversion routine for a .DOCX file? I tried TextPad but it was complete garbage. I tried OpenOffice and it was just as bad. I tried an earlier version of Microsoft Word and there were page breaks and XML instructions but none of the text that I had written could be seen in the file.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is a plugin for older versions of office to read docx files. You also do not have to save your work in that format either.
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you choose save as you can save it as a .doc file and you are good to go. I have installed a pluging / file converter for work as some customers have sent in .docx files and they could not be read. After the install it worked great.

Bill,

The save as option needs to be utilized for excel aswell or a plugin, and not sure on powerpoint, and access I'm not sure if they give you the option of the older format. I think they do though, I use access and excel almost daily from office 2007. It read my database from office 2003 so I didn't have to make a new one :)
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

That plugin grinch mentioned works wonders, it only takes a minute or so to install with only one or two clicks.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

For those that aren't prompted automatically for the plugin by Office it is available Here
  • stechkov
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • stechkov
  • Loc: philippines

Post 3+ Months Ago

DOCX is the latest format of MS WORD OFFICE 2007...
it cannot be opened by older versions of MS Office...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

stechkov, did you click the link I posted above or read what others have said? There is a plugin you can install that will let you.
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

@atno/tw - stechkov is technically correct. Maybe the other posts were not read by them .... as by default previous versions of office can not read .docx files ... but with a plug in they can :)
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

:banghead:

People really need to learn to read.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts