PC does not boot

• dafunk
  • Student
  • Student
  • dafunk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello, my friend has a WinXP PC. The hard drive is divided in to 2 partitions, C: with the OS and programs and D: he uses to put all his data.
But he has a tendency to forget and put everything on the C: drive. Yesterday. He added more stuff on the C: drive and it froze.
I think he totally filled the drive. Now the PC will not boot at all.
The computer gets to the blue screen with the Windows XP logo and it freezes.
I tried in "safe mode" and "last known good configuration" the same thing happens

I also tried to boot with an WinXP CD and it gets to the part where I can choose to:
Press R to repair
Press ENTER to install Windows XP
To quit windows XP setup press F3

But neither one works.
when I Boot with the XP start up disk it does NOT show any partitions such as C:\WINDOWS "Microsoft windows XP Professional" as it normally does. and no option to use the recovery console Windows XP.
Thanks in advance
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Boot the machine, hold F8, choose command prompt. Try to move some of the files to the D: drive and reboot.

If that doesn't work and he has $40 to spend, buy an USB HD enclosure, put the HD in it and connect it to another machine where you can work on it.
  • dafunk
  • Student
  • Student
  • dafunk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the responce
I hooked up the drive on another PC as a slave and moved the files to another drive. I am able to see all the data and move it around. but when I put it back it's original computer I get the same problem, "I am not able to boot or repair Windows using the WinXP install CD". I hooked it back up as a slave in my PC and tried to format the partition but it said It could not format beacuse other resources where using the drive.
I decided to try it as an external drive on my friends laptop via USB and to my surprise I was able to format the partition. :D
I did a quick and full format.
I put it back in it's original PC to install Win XP on it again and it freezes again at the exact same place. :crazyeyes:
What is going on here?????
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you formatted the HD and you still have the same problem, there could be a bad block on the drive, that is a physical defect. Download the diagnostic tools from the manufacturer's site, create a boot CD with it and scan the drive for errors.
  • dafunk
  • Student
  • Student
  • dafunk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I downloaded Seatools from Seagate.com because Maxtor is now Seagate and created a diagnostic boot CD. but when I boot from the diagnostic CD it also freezes when it gets to the part "searching for the hard drive"
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Seagate makes great drives but their diagnostic tools weren't so good. I was hoping that you didn't get stuck with their tools. I didn't know that Maxtor was acquired by them either.

The only other thing I can suggest is to reset the BIOS to it's defaults and try it again.
  • dafunk
  • Student
  • Student
  • dafunk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I connect the problem drive to my friend's computer by USB and we were able to format it. :D I put it back in it's original PC and I still get the same problem as above.
He gave me an different working hard drive to try and it also freezes in the exact same place :?:
so it must not be the drive that is problem. :throwmonitor:
any ideas on what I should do?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

As I said in my last post, reset the BIOS to defaults. If that doesn't help, then disconnect everything else, CDROM, Floppy if there is one, printer, etc...

Make sure that the memory is seated properly. If there is more than one stick, remove one at a time.
  • dafunk
  • Student
  • Student
  • dafunk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
As I said in my last post, reset the BIOS to defaults. If that doesn't help, then disconnect everything else, CDROM, Floppy if there is one, printer, etc...

Make sure that the memory is seated properly. If there is more than one stick, remove one at a time.

Thanks for the info.
I tried everything exactly as suggested and still get the same problem :( The PC has nothing connected and only 1 HDD and 1 CD-ROM on different cables I tried both on 1 cable and tried different IDE conectors on the MB but nothing seems to help.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't think of anything else other than a mother board problem.
  • dafunk
  • Student
  • Student
  • dafunk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Someone suggested that this could be an overheating problem. So I took out the fan and blew the dust out of the case. I even took off the old thermal compound from the CPU and fan and put new thermal compound on the CPU. Put the fan back in and now when I turn on the PC it does not even show any video. No POST, no mem check,
The lights come on the PC, the MB, and the fan’s turn on, and I can hear the HDD spin but no video at all.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

How could it overheat in the short time it takes to boot? Try another monitor.
  • dafunk
  • Student
  • Student
  • dafunk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just tried another monitor and no video. I also installed an AGP video card and nothing.
The motherboard should automatically detect the if a video card is in the slot. correct?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

If there are no jumpers to set on the mother board, then I think you should see something on the screen, even if it's only for a few seconds.

When things get crazy like they are now, I go back to the original post. I don't think the problems started just because the drive was filled. That could cause swap problems but the PC should boot. Not only that, you said that you were able to format the drive and that you tried another drive in the PC. That eliminates all drive problems, in my mind.

As I said in a previous post, there isn't anything left, except the mother board. How old is the PC? What make is it?
  • pampee
  • Student
  • Student
  • pampee
  • Loc: Philippines

Post 3+ Months Ago

can you check the jacket that is behind your HD? it cant be formatted when in wrong place.
  • dafunk
  • Student
  • Student
  • dafunk

Post 3+ Months Ago

The motherboard is a Mach Speed P4MBMS with a Celeron D 347 (3.06 MHz)It's about 3 years old.
but I have great news. :D
I removed the battery from the MB and took everything apart. the PSU, the HDD, the RAM, the CPU and put it back together and now the on board video back.
I installed Win XP and it worked!!!!! no more freezing!
Any idea whats going on?

Thanks for your help
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

My guess is that one of the sticks of RAM became unseated and when put it back together, it solved the problem. The same thing could have happened with one of the ribbon cables.
  • RedFX
  • RedFX

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you formatted the HD and you still can't boot, you probably need a new hard drive. try installing windows on a serperate HD and leaving the bad HD in your PC and transfer the data onto the other hard drive.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts