XP doesn't detect wireless

• dafunk
  • Student
  • Student
  • dafunk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello
I have a big mess. My friend was complaining his Sony VGN-SZ240P notebook was booting up very slow It would take about 3 minutes to boot, and it would not shut off with unlesshe hitt the power button. I ran some anti virus and spyware on it and found nothing. I noticed device manager was blank. So I decided to run a repair install. The PC froze during the repair install so I decied to do it again but this time it would not give me the option to repair just overwrite the previous C:\windows folder . OK fine
We reinstalled Windows XP. This time it went smoothly. The problem now Is that It has 3 windows installations when it boots up
Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Professional
Windows XP professional

Only the first one works the other 2 freeze and in my computer in the C:\ It has Windows, Windows.0 and windows.1. Can I just delete the first 2 installations that are corrupted?
The other problem is that the wireless doesn’t work anymore I went to the Sony website and downloaded all the drivers. It found the wired network adapter. I tried it and it works fine I updated windows XP. But it still will not find the wireless adapter
In Device Manager Under Network adapters it only shows 1394 Net adapter and
Marvel Youkon 88e8036 PCI-e fast Ethernet controller.
And under other devices it has a yellow ? mark with a yellow ! next to “Mass network storage” and “Network Controller”.
Thank you
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You don't delete the bad installations. You just edit your boot.ini file. Read here
http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_remove_boot ... _want.html

As far as the wireless drivers, make sure you are getting the drivers specifically for that model.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea, it sounds like you downloaded the wired ethernet controllers drivers, but you didn't download the wireless controllers drivers, which would have come (most likely) as a separate download. i'd say head back to the site & look specifically for a wireless driver..
  • dafunk
  • Student
  • Student
  • dafunk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the replies
Quote:
You don't delete the bad installations. You just edit your boot.ini file.

After I edit the boot.ini files can I delete bad folders then?

And for the network drivers they are the correct drivers I even let Sony web site detect the model and I downloaded and I also tried it manually. They it still gives me the same message.
I contacted Sony support and they told me that the 1394 Net Adapter in the Device Manager is the Windows XP detecting the wireless adapter???? :scratchhead:
Does that sound correct?
They told me to install Sony shared library first and then reinstall the drivers. I did that but I get the same message. They then told me the next thing I would have try is the original Sony recovery disk.
I lost mine, so they said I would have to buy one and they could not help me anymore.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wouldn't delete anything. You may inadvertantly delete the wrong folder and wind up back where you started. They aren't hurting anything and don't take up that much space.

As far as the drivers you should be getting them from this page.
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-li ... =VGNSZ240P

There are two WAN drivers. Which did you install? Perhaps try them both?
This would be the most likely one
Quote:
Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG/BG Network Connection Driver - Installs the originally shipped version of the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG/BG Network Connection Driver.

The other is
Quote:
Sony® Ericsson® VDC Driver - Installs the originally shipped version of the Sony Ericsson VDC Driver.

The Marvell is your lan driver.

I'd also suggest getting the first download as well if you are running SP3
Quote:
VGF-WA1 Wireless Adapter Manager Update - Resolves an issue where the Wireless Adapter Manager software cannot install on a computer using Microsoft® Windows® XP operating system with SP3.

If you still can't get it running I'd suggest just getting an external PCMCIA wireless card. They are cheap and in a lot of cases faster than the installed one.
  • dafunk
  • Student
  • Student
  • dafunk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks very much for the info
I'd also suggest getting the first download as well if you are running SP3

Quote:
VGF-WA1 Wireless Adapter Manager Update - Resolves an issue where the Wireless Adapter Manager software cannot install on a computer using Microsoft® Windows® XP operating system with SP3.

Yes I'm running SP3 so that must be the problem, but how can I update VGF-WA1 Wireless Adapter Manager if Wireless Adapter Manager dosen't install? :crazyeyes:
anyway i'll still give the update a shot.
  • dafunk
  • Student
  • Student
  • dafunk

Post 3+ Months Ago

The update does install succesfully, but no wireless
I install the original driver again after the update it still gives me the same error.
:cry:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Download and install this
http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

Run it and check the hardware list for your wireless card. Check for brand and model and then see if you can get current drivers from the manufacturer's website vs. Sony's.
  • dafunk
  • Student
  • Student
  • dafunk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you for your help
PC wizard did not detect any wireless, so I decided to open the PC and look at the physical
Wireless card. It said Intel PRO 3945abg on it.
I googled the model and found the drivers and installed them.
Now it works great! :banana:

I also checked the Device Manager and under Network Adapters it added Intel PRO wireless adapter in addition to 1394 adapter and PCI-E Fast Ethernet adapter.
The Sony tech support told me that 1394 Net adapter was WinXP detecting the wireless adapter. :bs:
I always thought 1394 has to do with firewire connections?
Thanks again :beerchug:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

It does sorta but that's in reference to the electrical IEEE standard.
IEEE 1394 is the FireWire standard.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

grats all

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts