Dreaded C000021A Error

• 8XiossoiX8
  • 8XiossoiX8

Post 3+ Months Ago

If anyone in Ozzu can help, i would be extremely thankful

Okay, to business. I've had my friends work laptop with me for a few days now and this error is driving me nuts. He uses it for his freelance work with software packages I havn't even heard of. so formatting it and reinstalling windows is out the question.

Its got the BSOD error 0xC000021a error

Quote:
STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Verification of a knownDLL failed. System process terminated unexpectedly
with a status of 0xc0000020 (0x90e2bfb0 0x00000000).
The System has been shut down.

Its a E-Systems Laptop
CPU: 1.8Ghz
HDD: 80GB (sata)
RAM: 2GB

Ive scoured the internet looking through loads of websites and forums to see what everyone else is saying that worked for them. so far i have tried the following and NONE have worked.

- Last Knowen Good configuration
- Safe Mode
- Restoring the Regisry files in Windows/System32/Config (SAM, SOFTWARE, SYSTEM, SECURITY, DEFAULT)
- DOS: chkdsk c: /r
- DOS: Replaced NTFS.dll
- DOS: MBRfix
- DOS: fixboot
- Booted from a BartPE windowsXP and used FIX-HDC (Hard disk controller)
- Booted from a BartPE windowsXP and used FIX-IDE (Sata Version)
- Booted from a Windows VISTA recovery Disc and used Startup Repair
- System Restore (Failed all restore points (only had 6, last one dates 2008 *sigh*))
- Scanned for Spyware, Malware, Rootkits and Virii

One thing that has got me slightly confused is in the C: root, there are two folders ($INPLACE.~TR and $WINDOWS.~Q) which are used for updating the system to a new OS. however the laptop hasnt had an OS updates. So im assuming they are also used in a service pack update. which could have caused this problem, but im not familier on how to rollback to a previous Service Pack in a Vista that doesnt boot at all.

Any help/suggestions/solutions would be greatly appreicated, :-D

Thanks in advance.
8XiossoiX8
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

When talking about XP or Windows server 2003 that error is normally when winlogon.exe or csrss.exe fails. (see: http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;156669).

In your case (verification of a known dll failed) you basically have to find out what dll failed to really know what to do to fix it. That process is known as kernel debugging. Basically this link paints a picture: http://blogs.technet.com/b/ben_parker/a ... 0012f.aspx

If you don't know how to do kernel debugging yourself, my best suggestion would be to take the computer to a professional that can, and hopefully help you resolve the problem with the troublesome dll.

If you want to take a stab at it yourself, free debugging tools are available from Microsoft. http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/ ... llx86.Mspx

I can't really instruct you on what to do with them because I've personally never used them. But perhaps they'll help.
  • 8XiossoiX8
  • 8XiossoiX8

Post 3+ Months Ago

i tried using the debugger myself but got nowhere fast. tried installing the debugging tools but it was difficult to get it to intsall on a machine that doesnt boot to begin with.

looks like somthing i should research more into.

anyway, the laptop went to a repair shop a few days ago. havnt heard anything back yet.

thank you for the insight. i will keep refering to the links you posted to try and understand it more for next time. :-)

Thank you

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts