C: drive boots but disappeared from "Computer"

• whatsanike
  • Born
  • Born
  • whatsanike

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am a webmaster, actually, of sorts as I own some domains and a couple of sites, and I found this forum through a google search of the topic my subject line is about.

My C: drive can only be browsed to look at the files by right-clicking "Computer" and "Manage", then manage disks, and see C: listed, right click on C: and click "Open". Then I can access the files.
Nothing I have tried will make it behave the way it used to.
Running Windows Vista. Had 2 SATA hard drives and disconnected the D: drive wondering if that could have been the cause, since the D: drive acted normal and was listed in "Computer", when the C: and D; both were listed there the other day, but now that I have disconnected the D: drive, all I see there is the CD-ROM and empty drive letters down the alphabet from there. In device manager C: is listed as an SCSI drive. Tried installing new drivers but can't find any. Uninstalled C: and restarted the machine and same result all over again.
Posted this plea several days ago in "Hardware" but it seems to have died there.
Could not post my picture in my profile since the website won't browse to the C: root to find my picture.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Seems like a strange problem. Hopefully you have resolved it by now, but if you haven't please let us know you are still trying to fix it, or if you have resolved it, how you fixed it as it could help someone down the road.

So just to confirm, you are able to access your files, but only via the area where you manage the hard drives, correct? If so that does rule out the possibility that your hard drive is corrupt as it sounds like you can access everything on it, but maybe some sort of configuration problem.

Could you do me a favor and tell me what it says in that management area for your hard drives for that drive you are referring to. Tell me what the layout, type, file system, status, etc show. Also tell me every other device you have listed in that disk management area.

Also I am thinking you already saw this thread where someone else had their hard drive not showing in my computer.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

make a new profile and copy your data over the the new profile. then remove the profile. if all else fails back up the data and fotmat reinstall
  • whatsanike
  • Born
  • Born
  • whatsanike

Post 3+ Months Ago

Volume: (C:), Layout: Simple, Type: Basic, File System: NTFS, Status: Healthy (System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition), Capacity: 465.76 GB, Free Space: 281.68 GB, % Free: 60 %
Other devices listed, the C: drive is #0, then 1,2,3,4 G: H: I: J:, then the DVD CD-ROM 0 F:
Device Manager has the C: Drive listed as WDC WD50 00AADS-00598 SCSI Disk Device. I tried re-installing the drivers and also un-installing and re-installing the device with no change.

The other thread was about a secondary drive that was not mounted, I believe. So the other thread seems not to apply in a way I can see.

I previously did have a failing D: Drive installed in the motherboard beside this one, and when the problem started, the D: drive showed in Windows Explorer, but not the C: Drive. So I unplugged the D: drive and I still can't see the C: Drive.
Wondering if the boot.ini file could have a path problem, as I once mistakenly used the Gateway System Restore disk to revive the Windows installation on the D: drive so that it would sometimes boot if I hit the wrong choice in the Windows OS boot choice screen. Only now that I search for boot.ini, I am not finding it, so maybe Vista doesn't use one?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

So it sounds like the C: drive never really showed. You just never tried to address the situation because you still had a hard drive you could access? So the failing drive should probably be unrelated if I am understanding correctly.

I would be curious if you boot up in safe mode if you have the same problem. Could you double check and let us know.

You might also type in:

msconfig

When you goto the start menu and see if there is anything abnormal looking there.
  • whatsanike
  • Born
  • Born
  • whatsanike

Post 3+ Months Ago

In Safe mode there is no difference. In msconfig.exe I see nothing in those utilities that looks odd to me, but how to tell? The D: Drive was listed normally in Windows Explorer before I unpluigged it, only the C: Drive had disappeared, and still is. There is a dual boot still listed in msconfig, and also when I do the F8 for Safe mode.
The second listing was the one for booting from the D: Drive.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You unplugged the drive from the computer? Did you turn the computer off before you unplugged the drive?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

So let me get my head wrapped around this problem.

You have two drives which were listed as C: and D: under My Computer. All of a sudden the C: drive disappeared and can only be seen in Disk Management. Does that sum it up so far?

You can still boot your PC with just the C: drive connected and it still functions for the most part?

A couple of things you can try:

A repair install. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutoria ... up-repair/

System File Checker http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Not sure if any of those would help but worth a try.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts