No drivers with windows ME

• dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loc: Dallas, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have windows ME on CD but i don't have it install. When i try to install windows ME and it has no drivers. Through the installation it stops and i can't use my keyboard or my mouse and i can't do nothing. The only thing i can do it wipe out windows ME using fdisk and put windows XP on. It ever possiable that i will ever get the hardware drivers to load? Can someone help me out with that?

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

When you are installing ME does it just freeze up during the install? I really do not understand the problem.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

no it does not freeze up. It does not have any hardware drivers. The question is. I need hardware drivers for the installation.

Can you reply back and help me?

Thanks
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's the OEM version with no hardware drivers. Someone told me what the OEM means but i forget
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. The OEM product is typically cheaper and has a shorter warranty, often 30 days, and the warranty is through the reseller, not the manufacturer as is the case with retail products.

Anyway that just seems odd to me that it has no drivers. How did you come to this conclusion? I mean how do you know it has no drivers?
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found out two ways that it did not have drivers. My Uncle mad me a copy and he told me it had no drivers. The only way was that i tryed to install it. My Uncle said that it should recognize my generic drivers but it did not recognize nothing.

Is it possiable that i can put drivers on the CD?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

As far as adding drivers to the CD, no you cannot do that. Also I believe your Uncle is wrong when he says there are no drivers on the CD. Windows comes with alot of drivers. Now it is possible that windows does not have the drivers it needs to operate some of the components on your computer, for which you might need custom drivers for. What you can do there is look up the company website you need the drivers for, and download them to your computer and put them on a new cd or floppy disk, so that when Windows requests the drivers you can simply load that part from our floppy or other CD.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

I understand but i don't know where to find the company. Can you help me find the company? and the drivers?
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

well what are the brands of the devices you need drivers for? also are your mouse and keyboard USB? or ps2? if they are USB, then you may need to install windows with a standard ps2 type keyboard and mouse to get it going then upgrade. also be sure that all the proper devices are enabled in your mother board BIOS...
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh one other thing if they are "legacy" devices (devices that came with the mother board) then you will find the drivers on the mother board disk
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

Attention Gadget Gru

My keyboard is USB and my mouse is PS2. The part is when i try to install windows ME i can't get pass the installation part to make it to the windows. My sound card is build in my mother board. I have a seprate modem is PCTEL V.90. My sound card is Intel Integrated (r) Audio. I have a PCI video card for my monitr that plugs in the card. Which that card will over ride the chip on my mother board. Can you please try to help me tonight? My mother board did not come with a CD.

I hope we can talk tonight.

Thanks
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

Attention Bigwebmaster

Can you help me find drivers for windows ME? When it comes for me to start looking for drivers and in that case, I can't find nothing. Yesterday Gadget Gru reply to my message and he ask me what drivers do i need. So i told him but he never reply back to me. How can i get drivers for my hardware that is already build in my motherboard. I think Gadget Gru told me something about the Motherboard disk. I do not have any clue on how to get access to the disk. Read over what i wrote yesterday so you can help me find the drivers. I want to see how windows ME runs on my computer for the first time

Thank You
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well from what i have read that you have have said, something is very VERY strange. i have installed MAny OS's in my day and unless there was a scratch in the CD or the hardware was defective, i have never had windows installation do what it is is doing for you ( or not doing). it always has managed to at least find the basic drivers for mouse and keyboard. (not sure onthe USB thing however) anyway another thing to keep in mind is this. some system motherboard BIOS's have a low level virus protection feature that protects the hard drive boot sector against writes. if that is enabled your installation will fail miserably. yet another thing to consider is possibly a bad sector on the hard disk. do a thorough scan of the disk sector by sector. be sure it is not corupting data on certain sectors.

Let me know if that helped.

• dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

Attention Gadget Guru

I really need your help before i screw things up because i'm not sure what to do. So i got you some information from the BIOS. I don't know what click on. If you need any more information please let me know.

Under the File tab it says.

System Information
About
Set time and date
save to diskette
restore from diskette
set defaults and exit
ignore changes and exit
save changes and exit

under the storage tab it said this

device configuration
storage options
IDE DPS self-test
Boot order
When i clicked on storage options it said this.
Removable Media boot-Disable
Removable Media Write-Enable
Primary IDE Controller- Enable
Secondary IDE Controller- Enable
Diskette MBR Validation-Enable
When i clicked on Boot order it said this
IDE CD-ROM-First
Diskette drive (A:) Second
Hard drive (C:) Third

Under the Security tab it said this. Setup password
Power-on password
device security
Network Service Boot
System IDs
Master boot record security

Under the power tab it said this. Energy saver
Timeouts
Energy saver options

Under the advanced tab it said this. power-on options
Onboard devices PCI devices
PCI VGA configuration
Bus options
Device options

Can you help me out? I'm really not sure what to do? When should i try to install Windows ME again?

Please reply back to me as soon as possiable

Thanks
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not sure, Gadget Guru might have a better answer, but try checking under

Master boot record security

and make sure the virus protection is disabled if its under that section.
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok under master boot record (MBR) security, make sure it is DISABLED if that is possible. that is the thing i was talking about that will cause problems. if it is already disabled then that wasnt what was causing the prob. if it was ENABLED then it may have been the problem. let me know.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

Attention Gadget Guru

That was not the problem. It was already disabled. I tryed installing windows ME again. There was a dialog box that came up and there is no way i can click OK. I could not move my mouse to click OK and i could not use my keyboard to click OK. Where can i download windows ME from that has drivers on it? Do you have windows ME? and where did you get it from?
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

IM SURE IT WOULD BE VERY EASY TO GET OF Kazaa... i dont personally have a copy. i am in love with XP myself

what was the error message you resieved with out the ok or cancel buttons? was is a "SU" type warning message? if it was then it usually means one of two things,
either you have a bad disk (scratches etc) or you have a hardware conflict that is crashing the installation program. please post the message you are getting
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think he didn't get any error messages, he just cant use the mouse or keyboard. I am not positive though. Did you try hitting the tab button with the keyboard until the OK button was highlighted?
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

It was not really an error message. I need to fill in some network settings. I could not do that without clicking OK. I can not get pass that message. I got the CD from my Uncle. I don't know how he did it but he had it on his computer for about a week. Where should i look for it at on kazaa? I don't think i will never find it.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

Attention Bigwebmaster

you are right. I'm not getting an error message. I can't use my keyboard or mouse. The drivers won't load
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
I think he didn't get any error messages, he just cant use the mouse or keyboard. I am not positive though. Did you try hitting the tab button with the keyboard until the OK button was highlighted?

if he cant use his keyboard how can he hit tab?? hmmmm food for though.. hehe
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

dsantamassino12 wrote:
It was not really an error message. I need to fill in some network settings. I could not do that without clicking OK. I can not get pass that message. I got the CD from my Uncle. I don't know how he did it but he had it on his computer for about a week. Where should i look for it at on kazaa? I don't think i will never find it.

actually it should NOT be hard at all to find... it is a very popular thing on kazaa and other types of file sharing programs. do a search for windows ME under the software category.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

Attention Gadget Guru

I'm downloading Kazaa now. hmmm, Will Longhorn be on there too? not the fake ones. Longhorn might be better for me then windows ME.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gadget Guru wrote:
Bigwebmaster wrote:

if he cant use his keyboard how can he hit tab?? hmmmm food for though.. hehe

Haha, well I just added that last remark because I wasn't sure he knew he could tab to the word OK (if just his mouse didn't work)
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

dsantamassino12 wrote:
Attention Gadget Guru

I'm downloading Kazaa now. hmmm, Will Longhorn be on there too? not the fake ones. Longhorn might be better for me then windows ME.

How come you just don't get Windows XP ?
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

haha I do have windows XP but Longhorn is the upgarde. Sometimes i like to downgrade. hehe
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you find longhorn please let me know... although im sure it would be a far cry from the final release iw ould still like to take a peek at it. 8)
  • lachlanmullen
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • lachlanmullen

Post 3+ Months Ago

i had the same problem before. a friend of mine lost her network drivers [not helpful 'cause 1) when MSFT tells me to download new drivers, i can't, cause the network card don't work, geniouses, and 2) the driver files for her card are 1.6 mb, aka can't fit on a floppy. smart guys)

anyways, we borrowed a new win98 OEM cd from a friend, and it would not work, aka had no drivers, same prob as yurs.

here's why: OEM (Origional Equipment Manafacturer) windows only had basic drivers for said computer. aka, if it's for a Sony VAIO it will have PS2 keyboard and mouse support, and support for a Trinitron monitor and the IBM HDs that come with the comp. If i try to use it on a HP with Seagate HDs and USB kb and mouse and a flat panel monitor, it won't work, cause the drivers aren't there. Hence 'OEM,' it's locked into a specific comp.

you need to get ahold of a full version of windoze ( i recommend buying one, but that's just me) or snag a free copy of Redhat 9. :)

hope that helps.

~L
  • Kool-Aid
  • Born
  • Born
  • Kool-Aid

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
If you're using a USB keyboard and trying to install Windows ME I can understand where there may be problems. Windows ME doesn't load USB drivers in Real Mode or Safe Mode etc, it relies on your bios for that. If your bios supports it, try and find and enable USB legacy device support, or something with a similar wording. Another way to get around this would just be to use a standard ps2 keyboard, you can buy one for around $6 new so it shouldn't be a problem and the Windows ME install is easy enough with just a keyboard. Once you have it installed and it boots into a full windows gui you should have your usb keyboard and mouse working. I hope this reply isn't too late as I just found this forum and I hope it helps.
Good luck!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 30 posts