Dual boot Win 98 - XP problem

• rstarch345
  • Born
  • Born
  • rstarch345

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm running dual boot Win 98 and XP. Win 98 is on drive C and XP is on drive D. This was a compromise situation as this machine has been primarily used for customer support in '98 mode. However, some of the programs "required" upgrading the system to at least XP. The computer is used once a week in the XP mode and a couple of time a month in the '98 mode.

Last week I booted into '98 mode and got an insufficient memory error and was told to reduce memory requirements in the config.sys and autoexec.bat and the system did a forced shut down. I booted into XP, renamed the config.sys and autoexec.bat and rebooted. Same message.

I made a couple of changes in the system.ini so that 98 would throw up an error so that I could make sure it wasn't a boot sector problem and it isn't.

I've done scans with virus/maleware and have run defrag, and scandisk.

The only thing that was done prior to booting into 98 was that AVG antivirus was updated in XP.

I really need to get the '98 back running as I have a couple of customers I need to work with.

I realize I can create a new installation in a different Windows folder but I've got a lot of legacy software installed and don't want to spend weeks in trying to resurrect it.

Any ideas as to what I can do to resurrect 98?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Either uninstall AVG or do a restore point to when it wasn't there.

Aren't there newer versions of the "legacy software" so you won't need 98 anymore?
  • rstarch345
  • Born
  • Born
  • rstarch345

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
Either uninstall AVG or do a restore point to when it wasn't there.

Tried the restore point from a DOS command and it didn't work. Just for giggles, I'll try uninstalling the AVG from the XP, but I suspect the damage is already done.

Quote:
Aren't there newer versions of the "legacy software" so you won't need 98 anymore?

Actually, we still support DOS software. I can't force a customer to upgrade and as long as they are willing to pay for their monthly product updates, I support whatever they have. We're a small company and like many small companies, do all we can to retain business.

Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recently saw a post where the contractor told his clients that they have to upgrade by the end of 2010 or the price will go up. If you weren't providing support for those old programs, would they have another choice? I doubt anyone else would support it.
  • rstarch345
  • Born
  • Born
  • rstarch345

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
I recently saw a post where the contractor told his clients that they have to upgrade by the end of 2010 or the price will go up. If you weren't providing support for those old programs, would they have another choice? I doubt anyone else would support it.

Thanks. We did try that and lost quite a few customers to our competitors. We have 58 competitors in our market and all of use making deals to edge the customers to our side. 20 years doing this and it always boils down to giving the customer what they want the way they want it. It just takes a bit more smarts to do it.

Supporting DOS, Win 95 and Win 98 is a lot easier (and generally less expensive) to support than the system hogs that we have now. The only problem is keeping the support machines running. Modern technology really isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Besides, when you support customers in areas where 56K modem or Satellite (sometimes) are the only two options and modem is free to the customer, you go with the flow for the business. Beside, the older systems are a lot easier to deal with (and faster) than the new.
  • rstarch345
  • Born
  • Born
  • rstarch345

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, uninstalled the AVG and it didn't make any difference.

Since it seems as if there aren't any old timers here that knew '98, guess I'll try installing '98 in a new folder then manually comparing them.

Fun, fun, fun.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts