Dual Booting from a seperate hard drive

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was wondering, (I've never done dual booting) is it possible to dual boot two OS, each on a separate Hard Drive? If so, how would I go about doing that?

I would like to be able to dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 7...
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

why wont you just put ubuntu onto a thumb drive and call it good. so then you will have it where ever you go!
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

demonmaestro wrote:
why wont you just put ubuntu onto a thumb drive and call it good. so then you will have it where ever you go!

Not exactly sure how that works either... didn't even know that was an option. How would I boot from the flash drive?
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

welll.. lol

Go here
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

and It has detailed information on how to put the os onto a usb or Cd.!
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

This seems like a better solution.

How will I keep files in Ubuntu flash drive separate from Windows file? Or do I have to buy a bigger capacity flash drive? Because flash drives are a lot more expensive then hard drives.

I was just wondering instead of partitioning a hard drive, I'd use a whole separate hard drive.

I already have have the ISO burned on a CD... seems like they got a newer version out though.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

To answer your initial question Bogey, you can have one OS per hard drive. It is no different then installing two OS's on one hard drive but different partitions. Run the Ubuntu installer and hopefully it should detect your hard drive config, just pick the one without Windows on it.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

but you will have to format the whole drive to resize the partitions, also i suggest USB over DVD anyway why....DVD you can not save anything on the disk but it is handy to have a pre configed setup on load if your not that into linux.

So a USB stick about 4gig is good you can go less but less room to move, install linux on a usb stick and then boot off the usb from bios and then you can install stuff direct to usb and then switch off and boot up on another computer.

DVD versions are great to check out but really depends what purpose you have with linux to get a better start.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Zealous wrote:
but you will have to format the whole drive to resize the partitions

He is talking about having Hard Drive 1 be Windows and Hard Drive 2 be Linux. As long as hard drive 2 is blank I don't see a need in formatting.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

true was just thinking of splitting a hard drive for dual :P

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts