XP is at End of Life

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you are looking at getting a computer with XP the last day of OEM sales is October 22, 2010. Support will continue until April 2014, according to Microsoft.

Quote:
We know you love Windows XP, and you're in good company. Millions of Windows XP users are fans of the operating system, and many depend on Windows XP to run earlier applications and hardware that is not compatible with Windows 7. Windows 7 is designed to be compatible with the most popular hardware and software products you use every day and even though we are ending the sale of Windows XP on October 22, 2010, we still plan to provide support for Windows XP until April 2014. Our Microsoft Support Lifecycle explains it all.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... -sale.aspx
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can still hear the faint cries of Windows 2000 users who cursed XP. It's hard to believe that not only is XP now end of life, but there have been two more major operating system versions since XP. :shock:
  • sase_95
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Neg, MK

Post 3+ Months Ago

As of me in my country just 10% of the people have "Windows 7" the other 90% have "XP".
I still use XP cause my computer is slow and I know a lot more on the XP then Windows 7.
They say it's cool but i'm sticking to XP!
:] =]
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've loved XP.

I've got 80+ computers currently running it at the moment...... Only 4 years to upgrade so I think I'll wait.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

With XP being kicked out the door I think a lot of companies are going to have to start upgrading their computers. Window 7 is pretty good but some of the older machines running XP might have a real hard time with 7.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

SpooF wrote:
With XP being kicked out the door I think a lot of companies are going to have to start upgrading their computers. Window 7 is pretty good but some of the older machines running XP might have a real hard time with 7.

I have to disagree. Unlike Vista, Win7 was actually designed to be able to run on lower-end machines. I have it running on an Atom-based netbook with no issues.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You think it will run as low as some of the machines people got running xp? Most of the machines in my old school district are xp and they are running p4, 512mb ram (Dell 240,250,260,270,280). Not sure how Win7 would do on those. (Also have a lot of Dell 110's in the Elementery schools)
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll also have the hardware issue when updating. I actually have a few machines with only 256Mb of RAM. lol that's pretty much the minimum even for XP.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've rarely upgraded the operating system on an existing computer. In fact the only time I've actually ever done that was to upgrade my original Windows 95 computer to 98SE.

I just wait until I'm ready for a new computer and then buy it with whatever is the current operating system. Pretty much the same approach at work. I'm actually now starting to replace the last of the Win2K computers here with new ones with Windows 7. As the XP machines outlive their usefulness they'll gradually be replaced in the same manner.
  • sarmystic

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've found criticisms of Windows Vista a bit unfair...have been using it on my laptop for the past two years and I find it way better than XP..Yes it does consume a lot of system resources, but then RAM and graphics cards are also cheaper now. My laptop has 3GB of RAM and Vista works nicely. For me it is a vast improvement over XP...
  • Rincewind
  • Loc: Glasgow, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Allot of people assume that if an OS is new, it must need a more powerful system to run. That certainly was the case most of the time. A base end 98 machine wouldn't run XP and a base XP machine would never run Vista. However, this is not true of windows 7. I have installed win 7 on all my PC, and even with bare minimum memory and processor, it was quite usable. In fact, a machine with the base spec for win 7 compared to the same machine on XP will appear to run better on win 7. I even did once test where I installed win 7 as a VPS and then reduced it's memory allocation after installation down to 256mb. Even at this low memory and running as a VPS, the machine remained quite comfortable to use. So even low end machines from 5 or 6 years ago should be upgradeable.

However, I live in China, and use of windows is quite limited. Although pirate versions of all OS are available, most people still opt for XP. Even when buying high end modern machines, they opt for XP because that is what they are familiar with. Only when buying direct from a major retailer, do people get official software and then they get win7. So it will be a long time in China before XP is truly dead.
  • per440
  • Born
  • Born
  • per440

Post 3+ Months Ago

Windows 7 may have taken the place of XP but i think still alot of users all over the world will going to use Windows XP as many of the computer in school and colleges are not that much powerful (also drivers issue) instead of Windows 7
  • flashfango

Post 3+ Months Ago

I get used to using Windows xp, althrough more and more person started using Win 7! I think it is only a habit instead of attitude!
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have Windows 7 64-bit running on 8Gig (Well, 7.75 usable gigs) ram with some other nice things :lol:

I've gotten this computer since my XP Machine and Vista laptop crashed. The Vista laptop had the harddrive crash (It was HP), and the XP... I have no idea what happened, but it's running ubuntu 10.10 now.

Personally, I think that the Win7 is a huge improvement over XP and I don't see why people don't upgrade to it. So far I've had no problems with Win7 (like I didn't with XP... XP was great), the improvements is the "SuperBar", the visual vista like theme, performance...

I doubted Win7 and was scared to buy it, but now I'm not so doubtful of it... although I did buy a high end computer that runs Windows 7 (8gig Ram, 6x processor, 2.7Ghz graphics...), so this "review" might be a bit biased, but I like it.

XP is probably on the death bed, it not being sold and the support for it being ended in 2014, but it will go on until 2014 for sure. I remember our first computer ever (that I saw), I think it was Windows 95 (in 1998).

Also, if you are running Windows 7 Proffesional or Ultimate, you can download Windows Virtual PC and other stuff free from Microsoft.com and run the system in Windows XP mode... enabling you to run XP programs.
  • XPGUY
  • Born
  • Born
  • XPGUY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, not so quick with XP at the end of it's life. THAT is what Microsoft wants ALL of us to beleive, so that we all migrate to the new Windows 7, over night.

There is still lots of life left to XP, and will be for sometime. As nice looking, as this Windows 7 is, and ALL the things that it can offer, Windows 7 has a whole lot of ground to make up for, from all the crap that Veeeeeeesta put us through.

XP users, including myself, will not be migrating to Windows 7 too soon, because, XP HAS, proven to be a stable, OS, that just won't go away that easy, and Microsoft KNOWS TAHT.

Besides, since XP is SO GOOD, Windows 7 even offers an XP Mode in it, to draw us XP users to part with our XP and shell out the money, to buy Windows 7.

Nice touch, BUT, not so fast Microsoft, NOT SO FAST.

Also, when I check some of these new software programs that are now available, that have the OS's they are capable of running on, they ALSO include XP.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

XPGUY wrote:
Hey, not so quick with XP at the end of it's life. THAT is what Microsoft wants ALL of us to beleive, so that we all migrate to the new Windows 7, over night.

There is still lots of life left to XP, and will be for sometime. As nice looking, as this Windows 7 is, and ALL the things that it can offer, Windows 7 has a whole lot of ground to make up for, from all the crap that Veeeeeeesta put us through.

XP users, including myself, will not be migrating to Windows 7 too soon, because, XP HAS, proven to be a stable, OS, that just won't go away that easy, and Microsoft KNOWS TAHT.

Besides, since XP is SO GOOD, Windows 7 even offers an XP Mode in it, to draw us XP users to part with our XP and shell out the money, to buy Windows 7.

Nice touch, BUT, not so fast Microsoft, NOT SO FAST.

Also, when I check some of these new software programs that are now available, that have the OS's they are capable of running on, they ALSO include XP.

You didn't read the article, did you?
  • a4asit
  • Kalkin
  • Graduate
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

8)
XP is one of my favourite OS's (though I am more of a Linux/UNIX lover) and even with advanced graphics and features 7 can not replace the legacy left behind by XP. :jamesbond:

XP can run most old programs from 2000, ME and even 95 and 98 that 7 can't. XP also has many hardcore enthusiasts (including me! :wink: ). Windows XP is light and can run on systems with even outdated hardware (like 128M DDR1 memory!). XP is equally easy to use, comapared to 7. There are additional softwares that make the interface of XP better (both in quality and quantity).

So the bottomline is that Windows XP should be given a longer support from Microsoft.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

a4asit wrote:
8)
XP is one of my favourite OS's (though I am more of a Linux/UNIX lover) and even with advanced graphics and features 7 can not replace the legacy left behind by XP. :jamesbond:

XP can run most old programs from 2000, ME and even 95 and 98 that 7 can't. XP also has many hardcore enthusiasts (including me! :wink: ). Windows XP is light and can run on systems with even outdated hardware (like 128M DDR1 memory!). XP is equally easy to use, comapared to 7. There are additional softwares that make the interface of XP better (both in quality and quantity).

So the bottomline is that Windows XP should be given a longer support from Microsoft.

You didn't read the article either, did you? XP is still supported; it's just not being sold anymore.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Support for XP will be cut in April 2014.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

By the time XP isn't supported Windows 7 will be at EOL as well and we'll probably have Windows 12 or some such OS anyway.

Personally I really liked Windows 95, but the only constant is change...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a little question... what kind of OS really got Microsoft famous for their OS?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd say windows 95
  • AdamC
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
I have a little question... what kind of OS really got Microsoft famous for their OS?

The first OS I remember being produced by Microsoft was DOS 5. That was on the very first computer I used growing up. But most people probably associate Microsoft with Windows 95. Or if they hate Microsoft, they associate them with Microsoft Bob.
  • Satwant
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Bangalore

Post 3+ Months Ago

I say Window 3.1 Desktop Interface. This is where all 'mouse adventure' begin for common User :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I'd have to agree with Windows 3.1. It was the first one adopted commercially and many businesses used it long after Windows 95 was available. However I think what really turned the tide for business use was Windows 98SE
  • a4asit
  • Kalkin
  • Graduate
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi all and spork i didn't mean xp support ended :roll: . i meant that in april 2014 (that means only in a few more years) xp support will be removed. without that online support xp help won't be any better than DOS 5 :lol: (for which we have to read saved manuals on disk).

i also accept the "change" factor that is emphasised here. but change could mean "updation" also. If any of you does Win32 programming you'll probably know the differences that i have noticed in the entire API (that's obvious but bad :x ). many xp softwares don't run on 7 (not talking about vista because its like an elephant "easy to buy but hard to manage"). Win32 developers know that they need a lot of code-changing to upgrade softwares (and its not even win"32" anymore its win"64").

What could have been done here by microsoft was to include a major part of their efforts in backward support. a new version of xp should have been released or even vista or 7 should have been "64-bit xp" at core. This would have helped us a lot. but for the sake of keeping up with the "cool new os" trend in the market microsoft wasted everything (not to forget it has always been "appearance factor" for microsoft :hmm: ).

i think xp is subjected to "a slow death" :brutal01: before windows 7 (or the upcoming 8 ) like it was for OS/2 before ME or NT systems.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 26 posts