Error with the windows xp welcome screen.

• ollythesneak
  • Born
  • Born
  • ollythesneak

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a serious problem with the welcome screen on my windows xp operating system. My current problem is that my computer will load perfectly well without error until it reaches the welcome screen where the usernames are. However the usernames do not appear and i am unable to click on anything to enter windows.
I have tried several things to rectify this, attempting to enter windows through safe mode so that i could attempt to enter the system on an administrator account however this failed as the icon to log onto my administrator account did not appear.
I also attempted to use the ctrl+alt+del twice option which takes me to the old style windows 2000 log in method. However since i did not previously have a password for my user account i tried entering nothing as my password and this failed. I then tried the generic passwords that i use as log ins and none of those worked either.
I was wondering if there is any possible way to get into my system without going to the welcome screen of if there is nothing i can do to rectify it.
thanks
oliver ingram :(
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• DuckIT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Using the CTRL-ALT-DEL method, try entering Administrator as the user name and then anything you think you may have used as the password. Also try a blank password.

Failing that you can use a program such as ERD commander to get onto the machine. Unfortunately this specific piece of software is not free. There may well be some free versions though. The program on this link may be of use although I don't know if it has a built in program to change the local admin. You may be able to check the FAQ or mail the author:

http://www.ozzu.com/mswindows-forum/throw-your-boot-disks-away-t24463.html

S

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts