Explorer default search site

• Ragnar78
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ragnar78

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hy

Sometimes when you type a wrong address in IE, it either gives you a page with the error, or it will redirect you to msn search engine wiht the string entered in the addres bar...
The problem is that now i am being redirect to another search engine then msn...i was wandering if anyone can help fix this, thank you
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: somewere over there

Post 3+ Months Ago

to reset this open internet explorer. press the search button in your toolbar when the side window comes out click change preferences then change internet search behavior after that a list should come out with google yahoo altavista etc.. including msn select msn and your done
  • Ragnar78
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ragnar78

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry but i cant find 'change preferences '

im using XP with internet explorer 6....
I have in the search menu
Find a web page
Find a person
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow strange i have win xp and ie 6 and when i click the search button on the toolbar next to The favorites star this is what i see
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you feel alright with modifying your registry (click Start -> run -> "regedit" to get the registry editor) then go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Microsoft -> Internet Explorer -> Main ->
Code: [ Select ]
Search Page REG_SZ http://www.google.com
Code: [ Select ]
Search Bar REG_SZ http://www.google.com
the two codes are examples to change so it would redirect you to which ever search page you choose just change what it is to http://www.msn.com if that is the search page you wish to have. If this is not what you are looking for then go with ThaTKiD's suggestion and click on the search button and click customize and you can choose from a list of different default search engines. Enjoy :D
  • Ragnar78
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ragnar78

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks...i knew how to get the screen you showed...

In fact when i got what i described, i had in the bottom, File or Folders, Computers and People links...so i clicked on File Or Folder and got your menu but not exactly the same...it is identical to the normal Explorer search menu..

I want to thank ModernDestroyer...i like the registry thinggy...pretty cool actually...

Thanks agains a sorry for the bother.
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

No problem as long as you got it fixed, glad I could help :D
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

glad i could be of help too
  • Ragnar78
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ragnar78

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok i have done some more research in my registry and realized that some of the redirecting processes in IE were not only made by the Search page.

In fact, when sometimes you type a bad address, you might not actually be prompted to your favorite search site but just have the error page.

So, looking further to the site i was being redirected to, i realized that the registry was specifying an address in CLSID through IncredyFind.
A service IncredyFindBHO.DLL (i think, cause i deleted it) is being activated for redirection.
And also the DLL file cannot be uninstalled, you have to delete all relative entries in the registry and restart the PC and delete it (i couldnt find it in the services to disable it).

Now i might have been lucky cause the name of the search engine that appears was the same as the registry entries...
What if it wasent? how can we check for it? (i have spybot but it didnt remove it)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts