Explorer is working very slow

• robert78.5
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • robert78.5
  • Loc: Manitoba

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am running XP and when i open explorer it takes forever to load. How can i check my hard drive for being overloaded or check if i have a virus. I am using AVG and it updates every day. When i run a scan it finds a number of tracking cookies, and once in a while it finds a trojan. Or maybe it is time to throw out the tower and update to a new one. This one is about 7 years old.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

What i would suggest is backup your data and format and reinstall windows and start fresh again, if you have had that windows running for a while and it has slow right down then i personally suggest that a fresh windows is all ways a good thing as long as you have the drivers to install again once your up and running.

other things you could try is using spybot search and destroy to remove spyware and block ways for it to infect your computer.

depending on hardware specs you could upgrade CPU, RAM, Graphics card and motherboard if needed to give the computer a boost. which is all most buy a new one but if your going to buy another one then may as well use the old one as a media server or file server.

There is several things you could do from this point but depends what you want to do with it and where you want to go with your computing usage.
  • robert78.5
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • robert78.5

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am running an Acer with 2 hard drives of 35 gb each with a 500 gb usb external hard drive. I tried formatting C drive but it tells me that it is in use and can not format. Same thing when i try D drive. I upgraded the ram to 1012 mb a year ago and it worked a litle faster, but now it seems very slow. In explorer i mean. I am using AVG antivirus. I am only using it for internet use, and the girls use it once in a while to download music on I tunes. I am ready to unplug the internal hard drives and install something larger in a single drive.if that would work. I have all the disks that came with the tower when i purchased it new. or buy a whole new tower. I am using an old T23 IBM laptop on wireless that runs circles around the desktop for speed.
Thanks for your time.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

o.k if you are willing to buy another hard drive then we can make the process a lot more simple, say you had the new hard drive in the computer plug it in and then put the windows setup disk in the computer and boot from cd.

Install windows and all the disks that came with your computer and then the software that you were using before like iTunes and msn messenger if you use it stuff like that and then i guess setup your login sysytem for the family and off ya go really.

Important make sure you put all your personal files on the external hard drives before putting the new hard drive in so you keep your files.

Once everything is setup you can plug that spare hard drive in and format it as windows is not using it which will explain your problem earlier when formatting a hard drive that windows was on. Any who you can use that as a spare for extra room.

So you fine installing windows?
  • robert78.5
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • robert78.5

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes , i can handle that. Just have to find a large single drive that will plug in. I will do a search today. Thanks

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts