external computer doesn't show up in 'my network places'...

• wlandymore
  • wlandymore

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a computer that I joined to a domain via a VPN and is currently connected through the VPN to the network. However, when I search in my network places the computer doesn't show up. It has a listing in DNS and I can get to it from the run command or by mapping a drive...
why can't I see it in my network places?
Could this have something to do with the fact that the external computer is only logging on to the machine locally and not logging on to the domain?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm...I never looked to see whether it shows up or not and I'm not home to check. Normally, I either Map to the c$ share or more often just use RealVNC. There are different versions of VNC that are available, but it's like sitting at your remote computer. Very easy to use and free.
  • wlandymore
  • wlandymore

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, I use VNC on the same machine. In this case I'm saving a backup of a DC offsite and I was just wondering if I could have that option of selecting the external computer out of the list of domain computers. It's not really necessary because I had already mapped a drive and it can be saved off site that way, I just wanted to know why that option wasn't available.

weird
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm...I'll have to check it out when I'm home tonight. If I come up with anything I'll let you know. Although the thought occurs to me that you may actually have to Share a drive on the DC for it to show up in network neighborhood. The administrative share doesn't count as a "real" share per se and isn't visible in and of itself.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I did check this out, and like you -- it's a no joy on seeing the computer listed in Network Places. However I did find this from a Google search for: vpn computers network places

http://bioserve-boulder.colorado.edu/mi ... edure.html

The process works for me for my work computer on the share I set up to an extent. I'm on Win2Kpro at home but I suppose XP should work the same. The instructions find the share and I can add it and Windows Explorer pops up with the C drive share and Printer shares, but I can't open the Cdrive (where Cdrive is my share name) directory and get an alert message instead: \\computername\sharename is not accessable...access denied. That's a bit odd since I had to provide the username and password to create the network place. My expectation was it should be accessable and if not prompt for username and password if needed. For what it's worth, my computer at work now shows up in Network Places, but I can't access it. And I know it's still on because I just looked at it with VNC.

There has to be something simple missing here.

//As an afterthought it may be because my login here on my home computer is different than my login at work. Unforunately, it's too late to play with adding a new user with my work access tonight and playing around with it. But at least it's a step in the right direction.
  • wlandymore
  • wlandymore

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh well. I'll tinker around with it, but like I said, there are other ways I can do it. It was more like interest that brought me to ask about this.

You did more than your fair share.
Thanks for all the help; Above and beyond.
  • stone
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • stone

Post 3+ Months Ago

You may need to set the wins to the IP address of the DNS server.

Ken

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts