File renaming application...

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys,

Does anybody here know of an application that I can just run on a directory and it'll rename all the files inside that directory to the format..

YYYY-MM-DD-HH-NN-SS.original-file-extension

I've tried hittin' Google for this one, but I just keep getting bunches of MP3 file renamers (where it renames the file to whatever it can rip out of the ID3 tag) which isn't what I'm after, heh.

Basically, I'm taking 500-600 photos at a time on my new camera, and each time I format a memory card, it's restarting the count at DSC_0001.JPG (or tif or whatever)..

I need to find a way to automatically rename these, so I can just copy new images straight to an "incoming" directory without having to create a folder for each CF card, or having to rename each image individually.

If there's nothing out there like this, it's no biggy, I'll just have to hunt out my Delphi CD and write something myself, but I figured I'd ask here if anybody has come across anything like this before.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Axe,

Try RenWiz. It does a fantastic job of renaming files based on all sorts of parameters. Unfortunately, it doesn't travel to sub-directories.

It can do everything you need (yup, it can see the last modified time as well as current date!). :-)

Cheers,

Rob

P.S. Windows or UNIX? A shell script could pull that off.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, I'll give RenWiz a try. I did just find Downloader Pro, which might do what I want. It's specifically designed for downloading images from a CF or camera, and auto-renaming them when it saves them out... Pretty quick too.

This is on a windows box. I thought about doing it on a Linux box, but it'd just be too much hassle setting up a CF reader on the Linux box, or FTPing up all the images to the server, preserving timestamps, renaming, then downloading again.

With Downloader Pro, it seems I can just hookup the CF reader to the USB, click the "Download" button, and it downloads 'em individually from the CF, and saves 'em right out to the "Incoming" directory in my pics dir, with the new filename (the timestamp of the file). It also converts JPG to lower case too, heh.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts