File System problem & Using Digiwiz MiniPE

• AbdulTheKewl
  • AbdulTheKewl

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello there,
Recently, I had a system crash with my Toshiba laptop which is running Windows XP SP2 Professional.
I have always had this problem when my laptop is running for period of time and I move it from a place to another it would give me the blue screen problem and the memory dump.

I tried several things, changing the hard disk, using a different RAM and even formatting the hard disk. Yet, the problem is still there.

Anyways, when my system crashed 2 days ago, it started with the blue screen as i lifted it up from the desk.
I restarted it and again another blue screen error and then i noticed a message that says that the "NTFS.sys" or something like that is Corrupt.
I restarted the machine and it always gave me the choice to start Windows Normally or Safe Mode. In both cases, Windows would start up until it reaches the logon screen but would give a blue screen for a quick second and restart again. It's more like a loop now.

I used the Repair option in Windows XP to fix the boot sector. The Boot Sector has been successfully written but still I can't get to start up Windows.

Now I am trying to use DigiWiz Mini PE to fix the problem with the C partition in order to either start up the system again or Recover my personal data on the C drive.
The other logical partition D is working fine and I was able to detect it through the A43 File Management tool.

Please I need your assistance on this issue. Top priority is getting my data out of the corrupted C partition. Getting the operating system to work again on the same drive is optional. Is there a way to get the data out? Or fix the File System that might have been corrupted after the system crash?

Please advice,
Thank you in advance.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it's a hardware problem. Something inside the machine is loose. There is a way to remove the HD and connect it to another machine through USB. The only problem is that you can't use a typical IDE external enclosure that you would normally use for a desktop. I'm not sure what it's called for a laptop. Maybe someone else can take it from there.
  • AbdulTheKewl
  • AbdulTheKewl

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Don2007 for the reply, I am more concerned about Windows not starting up at the mean time.
I connected the hard disk through a cable to another PC and I was able to browse the second partition D. The main partition C which has the operating system is not accessible. I tried opening it using Disk Management but it would tell me Path Incorrect or not accessible.

So obviously, physically the hard drive is ok since a logical part of is accessible but the problem is I need to access the partition with the operating system so I can take my personal data out.

Please advice.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your conclusion, that the drive is physically ok because one logical partition is readable maybe true but it's not 100%. There still could be bad blocks on the C: portion.

What you could do now, is put the HD back in the laptop and download the diagnostic tools from the manufacturer's web site, create a boot disk and run the tools on the drive. In other words, let's say it's a Seagate drive. Go to their site and download the diagnostic tools and create the boot disk.

The tools may find a corrupt file system and no bad blocks, which is your guess at the moment and it maybe able to repair it.
  • AbdulTheKewl
  • AbdulTheKewl

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Don,
I will try to download the diagnostic tool from Toshiba.
In the mean time, I want to try one of the tools in the DigiWiz Mini PE CD, do you have any information about the appropriate tool?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, I don't know anything about DigiWiz. However, I would look for something that could repair corrupt file systems.
  • AbdulTheKewl
  • AbdulTheKewl

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you have any suggestions? I have come close to the conclusion that the reason why my hard disk wouldn't boot is because of the corrupted file system "NTFS.SYS".

I tried using a program under MiniPE called "Directory Snoop NTFS". It actually showed all the folders and files in the corrupted partition. But the files are not accessible and they don't seem to be deleted from the system.

Does anyone have any suggestion?
  • AbdulTheKewl
  • AbdulTheKewl

Post 3+ Months Ago

More updates about the situation:

- I was able to access the C partition through Knoppix and copy most of the files into an external hard drive.

- I realized that the NTFS.SYS file was missing so I copied it from the original Windows XP Professional into the Windows folder and tried to reboot, but the same blue screen came. :-S

Does anyone have any suggestions to make my hard drive reboot?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

NTFS.SYS goes in C:\windows\system32\drivers not in C:\windows
At least that is where it is on my PC.
  • AbdulTheKewl
  • AbdulTheKewl

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
NTFS.SYS goes in C:\windows\system32\drivers not in C:\windows
At least that is where it is on my PC.

Yup,, no doubt about that..
That's where I copied it into..
But till the problem is not fixed yet..!

Any suggestins?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is the error message still the same? What is the exact error message? Have you tried any of the options on F8?

You could try resetting the BIOS to the defaults. At least you were able to salvage most of your data in case you need to do a clean install.
  • AbdulTheKewl
  • AbdulTheKewl

Post 3+ Months Ago

First of all, thank you Don2007 for all the assistance you have done so far.

Now, here are the updates:
- After using Knoppinx to copy the data into an external drive, I tried using the NTFS Fix tool + I copied the NTFS.SYS file into C:\windows\system32\drivers

After ignoring the laptop for a couple of days, I decided to start it, surprisingly, Windows came up but very slowly.

- On several occasions, I would be getting a blue screen with a memory dump and a restart.

- Check Disk can't finish and the system would restart.

- Windows while it was on, it updated windows through the AutoUpdate, a few moments later, I had this error message:
"STOP: c000021a unknown Hard Error"

Do you recommend formatting the partition and re-installing Windows? Should I consider other options like the ones in F8?

Please advice.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you can get it to boot one more time, copy anything else that you want to save, that you missed when you used knoppix. Use the F8 options if you need them. Then I would format and do a clean install.

Note: Make sure that you have the mother board, video and network adapter drivers somewhere so that you can install them after the OS.

As long as there are no bad blocks on the HD, everything should be ok after that.
  • AbdulTheKewl
  • AbdulTheKewl

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok here's something,

Regarding copying the files, I noticed something weird,,, some of the files weren't copied because they seemed kind of corrupted...
especially large sized files..

I tried the repair installation for Windows but didn't work either,,

I ran a Check Disk and it reached only 50% and then it showed a message saying "Some files were unrecoverable"..

I don't know how to determine if my HD has bad blocks or not..

Any ideas?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you've gone as far as you can with that installation. You've copied what you could, so I would start a clean install and choose format drive to NTFS when asked during the install.
  • rocky6115
  • Born
  • Born
  • rocky6115

Post 3+ Months Ago

if u find problem in fresh istallation..n blue screen is appearing.or while installing windows if error shows HARDDISK NOT CONNECTED...then try this 1......got to system bios...in boot configuration...disable all boot agents or disable boot from any other device....f10 save the settings....and now try installign windows....it will shurely work...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts