Filemon showed why Explorer was lacking!!

• Ragnar78
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ragnar78

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok
I downloaded Filemon to see why everytime i tun big movies, it sometimes lack to open them and always after explorer lack like hell :?

So with Filemon, i realised that explorer still was reading or trying to access the avi file even after i closed the folder and closed Windows media player...

Why is this happening and how can i solve it?
Should i delete all big movie files?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Huh?
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: somewere over there

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think lack = LAG and i think hes trying to say that IE is lagging when he watches large movies and afterwards hes found IE keeps using bandwith by connecting to the movie sites
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

*grins...I know...basically I need to stay out of this post...
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Never Fear :) I know how to fix this problem..
Its a problem with Windows XP and large avi files as it is trying to find the index for the avi file. If there is no index or its an incomplete file then it will keep searching.. The solution for this problem involves editing the registry. I highly recommend backing up the registry prior to carrying out any actions on it, in addition if you feel uncomfortable editing the registry there are probably more fixes out there involving software such as Tweak Manager or similar.
My fix that seems to work for me is to delete the Default string value at:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler
Just Right click "Default" and click Delete. Once again, I would back up your registry before you do this.
hope this helps
  • Ragnar78
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ragnar78

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've checked out the MS knowledgebase...and they have a fix for it but i have to call a customer support center (= rip off) so that they send it...it seems that the hotfix will be available with SP2.

I'll try the registry trick...but what does the PropertyHandler in general stand for in the registry? it is suppose to be a value on how the handle the type of files by explorer? and what are its vlaues?
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good question. not sure myself, will look into it. On the other question I also found a website that simply advised adding a "-" to the start of the string value, this apparently told it not to look for the index. I haven't tested it myself as I deleted it previously.
  • Ragnar78
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ragnar78

Post 3+ Months Ago

What index...the index of the file himself or the indexing that explorer do?

And by the way, why does my scandisk in xp pro "dosent work", and tells me that i have to schedule a session when i restart my computer?
It says that the drive i'm trying to scan is in use by another proces...i still dont know wich one...i have recently bought System Works 2004, even NDD tells me this (in fact this problem started after a while i installed SW and NDD).
NDD can scan the disk, but it cannot fix the indexes so it schedule a 'chkdsk' but i dont think that it actually add the /F to fix problems...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts