Firewall??

• Meron
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Meron

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I have a question about msn.
I cannot connect to people anymore for talking.
So I went to the msn site and I read the FAQ.
And it had my problem they said it is because a
firewall. But they didn't say where I could fix it.
Could some one tell me what a firewall is?
And how can I remove it. Because I want to talk to
people in msn. Please help me.

Thank you :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• beings
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is probably not a firewall doing this, ive never had msn not work because of a firewall so i suggest you uninstal and then re-instal msn.
if that doesnt work try this.

ok we need to ask you a few questions to find out if you have a firewall
1. Do you have any firewall software (norton internet security, system mechanic, zone alarm etc?)
2. Do you have a router (internet hub)?
3. go to start/control panel/network connections and you will see a connection that is blue in there. If there is a tiny lock at the top of it, it means you are using windows firewall.

i do not suggest you remove your firewall because in this day and age no one is safe on the internet. If you must, double click that connection with the lock and then click properties then click the Advanced tab then uncheck the box that says "Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the internet".
  • Meron
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Meron

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yes I have Norton Internet Security running.
And I AM using an internet hub.
But there isn't a lock in network conections.
Could the hub be a problem?
If yes what do I have to do because I need
the hub. If it is Norton Internet Security it will be
no prolem I will close it.

Thank you :)
  • Meron
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Meron

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, :)

I tried to talk from the computer in my bedroom
to the (official) computer in the livingroom. and
IT WORKED!! So I think you are right about the hub thing.

Bye
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wouldn't recommend you turn your firewall off, I did that and got given a virus.
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok if you need the hub then you need to go back into network connections area (make sure your hub is connected first) and look for a icon called "internet connection" it will look like a world with a computer in front of it. if you dont see that tell us. if you do double click that. it now should disply a diagram of the internet connected to your internet gateway (hub) and then connect to your computer. click properties then click settings (sometimes it takes a long time to load after clicking settings). you will now see advanced settings. Ok i need to pass this on to someone else who nows what to do next (we need to know what kind of hub you have and if you know its http//address) I need to know what ports msn uses, does any one know?

Also keep in mind a firewall is not meant to stop viruses, it is meant to stop internet hacking. So even if you do have a fire wall you need virus protection. Some viruses can disable your firewall making it easy for hackers to get in these are called trojens.
  • Meron
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Meron

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
I went to the Control Panel and then to Network Conections.
But I only see 2 icons of internet conections. (2 small computers)
I don't see the icon of the (world and the computer)
What does that mean?

Thank You
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you are on XP, there's a chance that the built in Internet Firewall that comes with XP may be interfering. It is enabled by default. Here are instructions from Microsoft where to find it and how to disable/enable it.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin ... e/icf.mspx

I've discovered more problems with that firewall enabled than it's worth to use it. If you need a firewall, I'd choose a 3rd party one instead of that one.
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok if you cant see the world icon it means that you cannot access your hub from your computer. this is not a problem it just means that you cant change the settings from your hub using windows. what you need to do is find the book and cd that came with your hub and install it from the cd. If you have already done this consult your booklet that came with the hub, it will tell you how to configure it. you should also update the firmware for the hub (it will tell you how in the booklet) if you do not have a booklet you can check the internet website for your hub, they may have information on the website as to how you can configure your hub to work with msn. If you find no information i suggest you buy a different hub (D-link works with msn) or remove the hub if you want to use msn.
  • Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

MSN runs on Port 1863.

Like everyone else recommends, do not take off the firewall as I find that not having a firewall is like going into a war zone without a helmet on.

Also the firewall that comes with XP, is not very secure in my opinion. Personally I use BlackIce, and I've found that it works fairly well. I've also used Kerio and that wasn't too bad in my opinion.

Now Perl, you said you cannot connect anymore. Does that mean you could connect to MSN before?
  • Meron
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Meron

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, :)

Yes, of course I could enter in the beginning.
But that was before I bought the hub. A few week's
ago. But if it is a firewall then why is yahoo connecting and
msn not??

Thank You :)
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

msn is much more invasive to the internet then msn because msn has games, filesharing etc. if you want to test if you actualy have a firewall in that hub of yours go to http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2 this is shields up (if that link doesnt work search google for "shields up"). in there click "all service ports". it will start a scan of your ports and display a diagram wait until it finishes. now blue boxes are closed ports, green boxes are stealthed ports and red boxes are open ports. at the bottum there is a button that says "text summary", click that and post what it says in the text summary here.
  • Meron
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Meron

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I am not at home for few day's but when I get back.
I will do the <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=test&v=56">test</a> and post it.

Thank You :sunny:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts