Folder Security Tab missing

• ASP-MSSQL
  • ASP-MSSQL

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi All,

This is first time, I have even seen on Windows Server 2003 Standard edition. Security tab of ONLY ONE folder was missing, where as other folders were with it. This folder was not even accessible for Administrator, not on the command prompt also. Need some suggestion on this.. Its really frustrating to get such annoying issue.. :(
You can check its screen shot at following link,
http://tanmayas.blogspot.com/2008/08/windows-security-tab-missing.html

Any help will be much appreciated...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Odd that it would be only on one folder. This link includes information on why it would not be visible on all folders. You could at least check what he suggests there
http://www.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/mic ... 00008.html

My thought however is the permissions on that one folder were somehow altered. Assuming that the folder is in another subfolder, for example c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\mywebsite\blog, check the parent folder permissions, make sure that they are correct, then go to advanced and check the box for "Replace permission entries for all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects." Click Apply and then check your blog folder to see if permissions have been restored.
  • ASP-MSSQL
  • ASP-MSSQL

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion... I have worked around it... but Read permissions were already present on rshx32.dll, so need to look for other alternative on this.
Yes, the folder is in another subfolder, like you have suggested.. But when I try to "Replace permission entries for all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects.", It gives me Access Denied message.
Its strange that adjacent folders were perfectly working.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah. I've never seen that happen. For the benefit of others who will read this in the future, how exactly did you work around it?
  • ASP-MSSQL
  • ASP-MSSQL

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

May it will help you...

1) Under IIS 6.0 if you remove the virtual directory, it reflects in loosing the security tab for that particular folder.

2) If you take backup with the rsync, generally the account which is authenticated to take backup is owner of that folder, resulting denial access for other users, even if they are with Administrative access.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts