Forcing Outlook links to launch NEW browser windows

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

In Microsoft's Outlook, Outlook Express, and other e-mail programs, there's a problem. I like to open a browser window on a document then leave it open to read the document later after I've gone through my other e-mail messages. But if I happen to click a link in a second message, the contents in the browser window are replaced by the second link. I'd rather have each Web page remain open. I especially dont like it when I have a webpage open and it gets replaced by a link in my outlook!

For a while, I put up with this irritating behavior. But now I've fixed it so that each link opens and remains open in its own browser window. If you use Internet Explorer (IE) as your browser, you can easily fix this, too.

Originally, I thought this might involve a visible IE configuration setting. This setting determines whether IE opens a new window or reuses an existing window when a URL is launched. (To find this setting in IE, pull down its Tools menu, then click Internet Options, Advanced, Reuse Windows For Launching Shortcuts.)

But Outlook seems to ignore this setting. That's why a fix is needed to allow you to open multiple IE windows from your email package.

To make this change, follow the procedures for Windows 2000 below. The steps for Windows 2000 are as follows:

Step 1. Start Windows Explorer.

Step 2. Click Tools, then Folder Options.

Step 3. In the dialog box that appears, select the File Types tab.

Step 4. In the Extensions box, scroll down the list to the N/A (mayalso me labeled "none" in winXP) section, then select N/A(none) URL: HyperText Transfer Protocol. Click the Advanced button.

Step 5. Select the action called Open, then click the Edit button.

Step 6. In the dialog box that appears, there is a Use DDE section. For backup purposes, write down (or copy and paste)the commands that appear in this section. Then turn off the check box that says Use DDE (the commands permanently disappear). Turning this check box off causes email programs to run IE from its command line rather than the now-deleted DDE strings, which reuse the same window.

Step 7. Click OK, then Close; then close Windows Explorer.
(thats it! your done!)
Step 8. Go test it out

After taking these steps in Windows 2000, it shouldn't be necessary to restart Windows. You should be able to open your e-mail program and immediately launch multiple IE windows when you click different Web links in your messages.

If you don't like this effect and you want to undo the change, simply retrace your steps. But this time, turn on the Use DDE check box and retype the original DDE commands you wrote down.

For more information on reversing the change if you want to undo it, see http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb ... 6/9/53.asp
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

excellent, thx!
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very good :wink:
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does it work for WinXP pro? I cant find those settings :cry:
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik wrote:
Does it work for WinXP pro? I cant find those settings :cry:

Yes that is what I use. Works like a charm. Look harder.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

ahahahaha i am such a blonde i was looking in IE explorer not windows explorer! :roll: :oops:
  • dbale
  • Born
  • Born
  • dbale

Post 3+ Months Ago

How the H3LL did you find this out?!?!? :shock:

Prior to yesterday, my PC here at work was WinME, and clicking on a link from an Outlook email always opened a NEW browser window.

Yesterday, cuz of the crappy BSODs I've been suffering through, they finally scratch installed WinXP Pro and, as you guessed, clicking on a link from an Outlook email opened the page on the last browser window I had open.

I shoulda know better than to look to M$ for help. I googled on Outlook open web link in new browser window, and there it was, your post, fifth link down the list! I mean, the title was all I needed to see - I knew I had my answer.

Not bad for a post that's over a year old, eh?

Thanks for the excellent advice!!!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

*smiles -- another OZZU moment! Nice to see when people appreciate the hard work over time. Thanks for posting and welcome to OZZU!
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now I see what BWM meant in this post, that is interesting

http://www.ozzu.com/general-discussion/webmaster-webhost-forum-where-begin-t23934.html
  • dbale
  • Born
  • Born
  • dbale

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's a followup with the change made on Friday.

Came in this morning, powered up the system, and the "bad" behavior returned. :x Went through the instructions provided here again and, lo & behold, the "Use DDE" was set back on and the DDE Message had the same string in it as it did before I cleared the "Use DDE" on Friday. Note that the "fix" worked for me all the rest of the day on Friday, but I had not rebooted.

I performed the instructions again this morning, and noticed, among other things, that the "Use DDE" box gets checked again when I go back in to view if my changes "stuck". But the "DDE Message" remains blank, the "Application" is set to IExplore and the "Topic" is set to WWW_OpenURL.

This time I made sure I started from a clean slate (reboot) and did not start up either Outlook or IE, and followed the instructions again. Still did not "stick" after a reboot. I checked out the MS KB article and was reminded to check the IE advanced option to "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts". @#$%! It was checked, so I unchecked it. Closed everything down, rebooted, and now it works just dandy!

Thanks again!
  • dbale
  • Born
  • Born
  • dbale

Post 3+ Months Ago

Vladdrac wrote:
Now I see what BWM meant in this post, that is interesting

http://www.ozzu.com/general-discussion/webmaster-webhost-forum-where-begin-t23934.html

Ya, and to prove the point, I had never heard of Ozzu before I found the link on Google. Then again, I am not a webmaster (yet), so ...

Oh, and I got a real kick out of "newbie's assistant"! :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts