Fresh format install - NO a:/ drive

• sintax321
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Any Where but here

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm formating a Toshiba laptop, Pentium III, 128 ram. I normaly use a MS DOS boot disk and jsut fdisk and format the hard drive clean then start fresh. Problem is that this laptop doesn't have an a:/ drive. SO what would be the best way to compleatly format this hard drive then install windows XP on it?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman
  • Loc: England, Hartlepool, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

sintax321 wrote:
I'm formating a Toshiba laptop, Pentium III, 128 ram. I normaly use a MS DOS boot disk and jsut fdisk and format the hard drive clean then start fresh. Problem is that this laptop doesn't have an a:/ drive. SO what would be the best way to compleatly format this hard drive then install windows XP on it?

well what i would do is insert the Windows XP disc and format from there, turn laptop off and then back on if it doesn't read the disc and just loads normally then you should go into your bios settings and change it to boot from cd first then let it boot from the CD and once it has finished loading you will get some options, depending on your version of Windows XP they slightly change, just find the option to format in the list of option it isn't too hard, then once it is done reboot (i think it make you anyways then just let it read from CD again and choose to install Windows XP this time rather than Formatting

hope this helps, i have done it many times and it worked every time

(and it is very borin formatting and then installing again 8))
  • sintax321
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ya and i was sure there was an option to format the drive you where going to install the new OS too but it never gave me the option. all it did was delete the old windows file and start installing XP. Never got the option to format the c:/ so ya now i'm waiting for XP to install lol. where exactly or how exactly do i get the option to format?
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman

Post 3+ Months Ago

sintax321 wrote:
Ya and i was sure there was an option to format the drive you where going to install the new OS too but it never gave me the option. all it did was delete the old windows file and start installing XP. Never got the option to format the c:/ so ya now i'm waiting for XP to install lol. where exactly or how exactly do i get the option to format?

when you started your computer did it load the Windows XP disc and go to like a blue screen?
  • sintax321
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

yep yep, i was expecting the option to format like you said cause i've done it that way before as well as using a MS DOS boot disc. but the option just never came. I picked the c:/ as the partion for install, and it gave me warings about installing 2 OS on one partion, then instead of the option to format like i was expecting it only gave me the option to delete the old windows file and make an new one for the new OS. I thought the option might come after so i went a head and bam it just starting installing XP without a format. So i'm really confused. Now that this install is finishing i'm going to attempt again. Thanks for the help so far :D
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman

Post 3+ Months Ago

sintax321 wrote:
yep yep, i was expecting the option to format like you said cause i've done it that way before as well as using a MS DOS boot disc. but the option just never came. I picked the c:/ as the partion for install, and it gave me warings about installing 2 OS on one partion, then instead of the option to format like i was expecting it only gave me the option to delete the old windows file and make an new one for the new OS. I thought the option might come after so i went a head and bam it just starting installing XP without a format. So i'm really confused. Now that this install is finishing i'm going to attempt again. Thanks for the help so far :D

Can you tell me exactly what you are doing, the stages because i remember it is a little weird, what options you pick when you do it etc, type up all of the beggining of it up until the point it starts installing

eg. for me this is sort of what i did (going from my memory here :lol: )

put disc in
restart computer making sure bios makes it boot from CD
let it load then press F8 to aggree to license aggreement
then it gave me option of like REPAIR, INSTALL FRESH COPY OF XP, and there was another "R" word but i cant think of it, if you can type up all the options that would maybe help
  • sintax321
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

boom got it now, last time it must not have booted from the disc, the option to format and change the file structure to NTFS was there. it is now formatin, thanks again for all the help ;)
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman

Post 3+ Months Ago

sintax321 wrote:
boom got it now, last time it must not have booted from the disc, the option to format and change the file structure to NTFS was there. it is now formatin, thanks again for all the help ;)

no problem, sorry i couldn't help more, it had to be there somewhere though, i did it so many times, it would be scary if it wasn't there 8)

good luck
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

This may have been mentioned I am lazy and not going to read all the posts, but some Toshibia laptops require you press F12 during boot to bring a boot menu that allows you to boot from the CD ROM, there is no setting in the BIOS to have it do this automatically. I am not sure how long they have been doing this, but that is how mine is set up.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts