Ftp + downloading empty files

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not sure if this is specific to the ftp program I use (Aceftp), or if its Win Xp related. Anyway I am wondering if anybody else has the problem when downloading 0 byte files with ftp that XP refuses to make them. Its like it thinks since there is no data i do not want the file there.

Anyway I would like to fix this if anybody has a clue what is going on. It annoys me all the time.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

im guessing based on the huge response to this post, that it may be related specifically to ace ftp program. my reasoning is because i make notpad files all the time that are blank like for data bases or something and xp takes them just fine. i personally use cute ftp pro not to be confused with cute ftp standard.. it is truly the best ftp engine i have ever used..
  • Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ft Worth TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use flashFXP and it kicks ass!
  • machina
  • machina

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess the FTP program might have some problem or the permission setting of the file in the FTP account should be checked out(I'm not sure about this)
I'm using Cute ftp pro like Gadget Guru and have had no problem like that.

And the reason I said the file permission should be checked is because if the permission of that file is locked like no read and write are acceptable except list, the file may not be downloaded or, like you saw, 0 byte file might be transfered. This is just my guess. Maybe, Unflux will be able to give you an answer, I think.
Good luck!
:D
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

machina wrote:
I guess the FTP program might have some problem or the permission setting of the file in the FTP account should be checked out(I'm not sure about this)
I'm using Cute ftp pro like Gadget Guru and have had no problem like that.

And the reason I said the file permission should be checked is because if the permission of that file is locked like no read and write are acceptable except list, the file may not be downloaded or, like you saw, 0 byte file might be transfered. This is just my guess. Maybe, Unflux will be able to give you an answer, I think.
Good luck!
:D

No its not file permission. The files I am downloading simply are 0 bytes. They are empty log files, and they are supposed to be like that at. When I try to download the 0 byte files they simply won't show up on my system as XP or most likely my ftp client doesn't think its important since there is no data in them. As long as the file has more than 0 bytes it will make the file on my hard drive, but if the file is 0 bytes it will not. Hope that makes sense. Its not permissions though.
  • machina
  • machina

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yup, I think you're right. That's not a problem of permission.
Cute FTP is the best, I think. :)
I just tested out if my FTP program can download 0 byte file. I had no problem with it. Any 0 byte file could be downloaded.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I am pretty sure its just AceFTP, I am using a pretty old version of it.
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah i guess it is hard to find serialz for the newer versions!! :evil:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts