Geforce FX5200 128mb card problems

• EvoWeb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • EvoWeb

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm having problems with my Geforce FX5200 128mb, everytime I play some games the games start to flicker and I have to either shut it down or wait about 30 minutes for it to work correctly for awhile.

I searched the net and found drivers for the 5800 and 5900's but I suppose those wont work for 5200 and I can't find an updated driver for windows 98 that fixes this problem. They are all for 2000/XP.

I need some help. And before anyone tells me to go and buy a new card...I can't afford one right now so that isnt going to happen.

I'm running on Windows 98, 1.022GB RAM, GeForce FX5200 128mb
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• monoheinz
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Norway

Post 3+ Months Ago

Since it works fine for a while the problem can be that the card overheats. Doesn't sound like a driver problem. What games cause it to happen?
  • EvoWeb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • EvoWeb

Post 3+ Months Ago

It isnt overheating...

NVIDIA themselves said it was a driver issue because they put out new drivers to fix it but I cant find one for Win98SE, but IT COULD BE something else

And it does it with multiple games not just one...

Here is a list of just a small few...
Age of Mythology
The Sims 2
Mafia
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

i dont advice you do this but sometimes you can download and install drivers from old Operating systems to new operating systems. So you could try the drivers they give on the site for your card even though they are not for windows 98. NO garentees it will work tho. If it doesnt work just install the old ones you were using before again. I am using drivers made for windows ME for my printer on my Win XP machine, no problems here.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

if it is a driver issue, then all well and good, get the driver.

but the whole flickering sounds like overheating to me.
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

You are just about cutting the mustard with that card !(save your money) as we get closer to Xmas ,prices go down alot .
ForceWare (Detonator) 53.04 - Win98/ME
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=709
ForceWare 53.06 Beta - Win98/ME (this worked very well with 98 ,but you have to install manually (out of all the forceware drivers ever released,the best ones were always beta ,and not certified ones.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=721
Detonator 52.16 Win98/ME
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=687
ForceWare 56.55 Windows 98/ME (certified driver)
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=744
Forceware 56.56 Windows 98/ME
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=746
ForceWare 56.64 WHQL Win 98/ME
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=754

I would use 53.04,or the beta 53.06 with that card .
the lower the driver # the better ,and don't be using
anything in the 40xx series drivers or the 60xx series.

And make shure you use DriverCleaner,,don't be installing
drivers over top of each other ,and just because you
un-install them does not mean they are gone !! thats why
we all use DriverCleaner .
http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

Is the fan spinning on that card (you looked correct )
  • EvoWeb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • EvoWeb

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah the fan is working fine, I'll try the drivers and if they don't work I'll leave a reply. Thanks
  • EvoWeb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • EvoWeb

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm having even more problems using these drivers, now the game just stops playing alltogether...
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you Clean after you uninstalled the old drivers(what were they do you no the build #) with DriverCleaner ,,,and the thing is ..it only takes a couple of mins to un-install the ones in there and try a different set ..don't forget to use D/C between rounds..And if you can't get any of them to work ? then you got problems other than drivers ..You should
be able to run all of those drivers with no problem ...end
  • EvoWeb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • EvoWeb

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I have tried all of them and used DC after unistalling. I believe originally it had 4.14 or something like that.
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Experimenting time I guess !lol
try these ,they were the best of the 40.xx series
Detonator 43.03 For Windows 9X/ME

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=595

here is the complete list .

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=10

Sometimes they get a little ancy .
I would (with power shut down ) Yank the card out ,and re-install it next .
  • EvoWeb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • EvoWeb

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unfortionetly those don't work either, they helped, but it still happens.

And MOC, oin another thread I saw you mentioning a FX6600 for $150, where can I find it for that price?
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just skimmed through the posts, but have you gone to the nvidia site to download drivers. I had the same problems, with the same card, on the same operating system, and I just installed an updated driver from nvidia's site and worked out great. the nvidia website, is http://nvidia.com/page/home
then click on the download drivers button on the top, then select graphics drivers, then "geforce and tvt", then windows 95/98/me, then press the "go" button. the download is like 8mb, if I recall correctly, just download it, then run it, and try it out again.
  • EvoWeb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • EvoWeb

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah i've tried it but the card doesnt seem to register the new driver. It still says it's 4.14 or whatever, don't know why, something seems wrong there.
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Tom ,there the same drivers that are on the nvidia site ,,sheeze
come on dude (what do you think there bootleg or something)

EvoWeb, you need to tell me how you are unistalling them ,,cause you are not doing something correctly ..there is no way that if you are using driver cleaner (there ,when you hit the dropdown bar on drivercleaner ,
there are 3 Nvidia's ,,1st one is the one you want,the others are for the Nforce Motherboards ,and when you click the dropdown bar ,Nvidia does not even start till you scroll halfway down .
  • EvoWeb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • EvoWeb

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is what I am doing...

I'm going into my control panel, Ad Remove Programs, and removing "Nvidia Display Driver" then I restart the computer and use Driver Cleaner. I select the Nvidia option and click clean, wala.

And as I asked before...
"And MOC, in another thread I saw you mentioning a FX6600 for $150, where can I find it for that price?"
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll find it for you ,let me look ..

Okay this is how were going to install the drivers ,
first did you open the 43.03 up so that have a folder of there own .
if not do that .
next go to control panel ,then display ,hit advanced,hit adapter tab,then properties in that box,then when the next box opens ,hit the driver tab ,
hit the Update Driver button ,then you want to highlight the lower radial button (install from a list or specific location)uncheck floppy and cd and select (Don't search I will choose the driver to install,hit next ,then hit
HAVE DISK ,when the prompt opens hit browse ,and find the folder were the driver is ,then keep clicking till you get down to the drivers inf file ,( you will no when your there ) then hit okay ,then hit next (and if the driver warning pops up ,just hit continue (you will always see that if the driver is not singed) no big deal ,,you will no when it's done ,then reboot ......I load all my drivers this way ,once you do it a couple of times it's a sinch..This way there is no confusion ,you no you loaded the correct driver ...and this is called installing the driver manually ..It's the only I've ever done it .

PCI-e 6600GT is 199
and AGP is not out yet (and thats want you want ) do a search
you will see it's coming out sometime near the end of Oct. and they say
the AGP 6600 will be 150

this is PCI-e ,you don't want that ,you want AGP (unless you have a new motherboard .
http://gameve.com/gve/Store/ProductDeta ... PARKLE-004
AGP will be cheaper in price

I checked with NewEgg ,and they replied that they were "in the process" of carrying it. No particular time frame was specified.

Yea there going to be a big seller for Xmas , 6600GT clocks higher than the 6800NU .

Here is a good review:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/ ... games.html

here it against the RADEON 9800 XT (and remember when the XT came out ,it was radeon's flagship with a price of over $450.00 ,,,6600 kills it
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/ ... es_28.html
  • EvoWeb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • EvoWeb

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, while I'm about all of this, do you know where I can find a newer driver for my BTC JD155E monitor? I'm using Window's plug and play right now...
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

let me see if this works
http://members.driverguide.com/director ... 7a2d2c1b6a

and you will have to do it the same way (keep clicking till you get down to the INF file ...there's 10 different monitor inf files in that ,yours is the 2nd one down ..But you will have to install it manually ,this time instead when you get into display,settings,advanced,then monitor ,then properties.
  • EvoWeb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • EvoWeb

Post 3+ Months Ago

MOC wrote:
I'll find it for you ,let me look ..

Okay this is how were going to install the drivers ,
first did you open the 43.03 up so that have a folder of there own .
if not do that .
next go to control panel ,then display ,hit advanced,hit adapter tab,then properties in that box,then when the next box opens ,hit the driver tab ,
hit the Update Driver button ,then you want to highlight the lower radial button (install from a list or specific location)uncheck floppy and cd and select (Don't search I will choose the driver to install,hit next ,then hit
HAVE DISK ,when the prompt opens hit browse ,and find the folder were the driver is ,then keep clicking till you get down to the drivers inf file ,( you will no when your there ) then hit okay ,then hit next (and if the driver warning pops up ,just hit continue (you will always see that if the driver is not singed) no big deal ,,you will no when it's done ,then reboot ......I load all my drivers this way ,once you do it a couple of times it's a sinch..This way there is no confusion ,you no you loaded the correct driver ...and this is called installing the driver manually ..It's the only I've ever done it .

How do I find the .inf file if its in an exe(the driver) to begin with? Just unload the exe contents into a folder? then do it manually?
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Once you get to the part were it says (HAVE DISK) then when the [prompt comes up hit the browse button and go to the folder that has the 43.03 ,then when you start clicking on the 43.03 file you will go deeper into the file(the will be blue ,and it will say something like this ...
Nv_ something .inf (that was just a poor example ...once you get to the folder keep clicking ..it will probably be 43.03 first ,then Guru3D ,then setup is next ,then the .INF file .........So when you get to the browose
button ,find c drive then go to were ever you put it ,then when you start cliking on the 43.03 file (hopefully you opened it up and has a folder of it's own... once you get to 43.03 ,you are going 4 deep to find tha .inf file

yea exacute ,but don.t let the driver install ,,once it starts just cancel it ...I have a folder (you no you can right click and make a new folder ,,
Mine says Nvidia ,and whenever I download a driver I put it in that so there all together.

You can't do anything with blue exacutable ,,,you have to open it up so you have all the files.
  • EvoWeb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • EvoWeb

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its working now...I'm using XP Pro now though (formatted comp and stuff) But now the inboard sound stops working in the middle of the game...
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sound files corrupt real easy, so you got 3 choices.
1) try defraging that drive to see if it helps those files.
2) alot of games now ,when you go into ,control panel,
add and remove programs, if you click on the uninstaller,
it might have a (Modify,Repair,uninstall) just click on Repair,
and it will install over itself.
3) you can completly un-install it,then re-install it.
  • EvoWeb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • EvoWeb

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have tried all of them to no avail, is it possible something isn't connected to the mobo right? So it cuts out the sound during games? Could it be something in Bios? Cause I bhave it set for "auto" detect but there is no enable, what about the game ports, do they have anything to do with sound?
  • EvoWeb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • EvoWeb

Post 3+ Months Ago

possibly a driver issue? I need help finding the newest driver for VIA VT1617 for windows XP

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 25 posts