Grrrrr. BSOD!

• Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ft Worth TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello guys, I am having huge problems here, and cant seem to solve them. Hoping someone here can help. Gonna be a long post, hopefully you can bare with me.

I was running an XP1900+ with WindowsXP Pro, for like a year or so (maybe not that long). Never had a bit of problems. I went and got a new XP2600+, came home installed it, and have had alot of problems since then. Random reboots, which I found was windows restarting because of the feature that makes it do that upon error, to missing files/folders etc.

So I installed Windows Sever 2003, and all my problems went away. Except now, I get one of these errors, at least once a day:
win32k.sys: page fault in nonpaged area. or
bad_pool_caller: stop 0x000000C2

I had my ram checked, tried new ram, tried a different processor, and it still happens. Anyone have any idea of what the problem is or could be? I did search Microsoft and found some of these issues, with older OS's and it seemed to be pretty common, with the answer usually bening "install such and such service pack to fix".

If you can help please do!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

just a stab in the dark here, but the word nonpaged makes me think of
the space allocated for physical memory used by Windows. I'm
wondering if the sector it's using on the hard drive is bad.

Like I said, just a stab...
  • Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

a friend suggested that as well, but when i discussed it with some other people, they told me to run dskchk and see what happens, then go other routes...
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you tried running chkdsk? Here is the command you should try running

chkdsk /r

Not sure if that will resolve anything, wouldn't hurt to try.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

sounds like the right direction, but dskchk isn't the most reliable utility.
  • Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea, it was chkdsk, got the command backwards... but I did run it, with no problems...

i just picked up a 120GB drive the other night, and am using it as an extra drive. the drive my OS is on, is a 60GB. drive, if I were to switch them around, the 2 drives, would this "non paged area" affect anything if the 60GB drive was just used as the extra ?
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

probably not, but if sectors are bad, there's no way around it. It's going
to be a problem no matter what.

there's no way to change the area of the disk it uses, only the
size/amount of space to use.
  • Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, tried chkdsk /r and it tells me scandisk is more proficient. so, i ran scandisk, and everything comes up clear.
  • Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, this morning i got a total of 3 BSOD.

IRQL Not Less Or Equal - Stop: 0x00000000A

Bad Pool Caller - Stop: 0x000000C2

NAVEX15.sys - Page Fault In NonPaged Area. Stop: 0x00000050

Any ideas? Today I am going to swap out the current drive my OS is on, and try a new one to see what happens.
  • Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

no ideas ?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nope, usually when I get problems like this its time for me to clean out my computer with an air gun and reinstall the sytem anyway. That usually resolves the numerous weird problems for me. I also noticed that one time my video card wasn't all the way in the socket, but it was still working and I would get errors and crashes all the time. Once it was tightly fit in the socket all my problems went away. So you might open up your computer and clean it all out and make sure you have good connections on everything. Its hard to tell if you are facing a hardware problem or a software problem. The fact you are getting multiple types of errors though and random times is making me think its a hardware issue, not positive.
  • Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, an update.... bought new ram, stuck it in and all was fine for 3 days. then i started getting more errors, along the same lines as the others. as far as hardware, I have a video card and nic card. switched to my onboard nic, and still got errors, and my video card I just purchased and was having the errors even with the other card installed. but, i put the other card in, and still had errors. CPU is the only thing left to change out, and when I bought it from the store, I bought the OEM since I already had a top notch heatsink/fan. the store only offered a 15 day warranty and was told AMD wouldnt honor it either since it is OEM.

finaly conclusion. i'm throwing AMD out the window and going with an intel p4 2.4ghz 800mb fsb. should be a rocking setup, so I will post here after I get it and get rolling, to see if any errors occur, but like I said, i think its this xp2600+ that i bought from frys electronics.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you ever check your power supply in the box to make sure it has sufficient output for all the things in your computer. That could cause problems like this too. If your load is to high on your computer and your power unit cannot handle it, you will get tons of errors and problems. That is why I have a 430 Watt power unit for my computer, because I have so many things in the computer, from power hungry video cards, nic cards, hard drives, cdroms, burners, etc.
  • Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea, I have an EnerMax 431WATT Power Supply. All voltages appear to be ok, i dont have exact readings here with me, but the mentors at my school tested it out. thanks for the heads up on it tho.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have the same exact power supply as me :)
  • Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

sweet, whisper series with adjustable fan speed.. gotta love EnerMax!
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

OT: I've been considering putting a fan adjuster for my psu, it has two in it and the LED one I put in tends doesn't need to be running all the time, maybe I'll just put an on off switch....

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts