Grubb error 17.. cant use xp now :(

• helmuthen
  • Born
  • Born
  • helmuthen

Post 3+ Months Ago

I installed linux gentoo on my school laptop.. so i had windows XP and linux on 2 diffrent harddrives... anyways.. I went in to windows xp and into computer management or somn like that and the into disc management and deleted all the linux drives the startup drive and backup drive and the linux disc.. anyways... when i rebooted an error ocurred... the error was grubb ( the thing that wants you to chooose either XP or linux) so the error keeps on comin up wverytime im statin the pc so I cant start xp so im using bootdisc knoppix now.... i cant recover the lap cuz i aint have the recover disc that disc is in school and... i just want to know if i can take that error away without using a ghost cd or a recover cd..

I REEEEALLY DONT WANT TO DELETE ALLT HE FILES ON MY C: DISC!

help please!!!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Ragnar78
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ragnar78

Post 3+ Months Ago

what do you want to keep?
Cause their is a partition created by grub to enable the dual booting.
Delete it and XP will load and the selection screen will not appear...but you will also have problem running linux :wink:
  • icyroadz
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I had LILO, I just used a linux boot floppy if I wanted linux and took out the disk for windows. It got around a different problem, but might help you here (i.e. if you disable grub I mean)
  • helmuthen
  • Born
  • Born
  • helmuthen

Post 3+ Months Ago

okey.. but then the next prob comes.. i dont got a linux boot floppy only got a linux boot cd.. but thats a diffrent linux boot than the other one that I installed.. so is there any kind of file that I can like delete in the pc that makes the grub *plum* to disapaer =P
  • helmuthen
  • Born
  • Born
  • helmuthen

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh wait I just realized i cant delete siht with the boot cd :P
  • icyroadz
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

There's a way to make a boot floppy if you can get it to boot into linux. Get it there, make the floppy, then disable grub. Sorry I can't be more helpful with that, I've only dabbled with linux.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts