Hard drive issue

• JP 0116
  • JP 0116

Post 3+ Months Ago

I posted this question in another thread but I figured no one would see it ..

I was just wondering if anyone could help me with a problem im having with my hard drive . It kind of relates to the problem for this thread .. Basically I was using my pc one night when i was getting these error windows. During this time all I was doing was dragging and dropping stuff off one external hard drive to a newer one. So I restarted the pc and could never get back into windows. Kept saying a hard ware or electrical malfunction could of caused the problem . please run the fix or start normally . So I did both . No luck . So I took it to Best buy where i bought the serive plan an they ran a test and the hard drive is bad. They swapped it out for a new one free .. And gave me the old hard drive .. I want to try to recover stuff of it . So I plugged it in my pc . Doesnt show in my computer or management .. But it shows in my bios . Now If i put it in a external enclosure it shows in my computer but takes for ever to double click it . and once it goes through it says this drive is not yet formatted would u like to ? Of course i clicked no . for now . So anyone have any other ideas on what i can do to recover data . My favorites for IE. i mean its not life or death stuff but there are things i cant replace.

By the way .. SATA Hard drive . Im running Vista ..
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Put the drive in the freezer for a few hours & try it again in the external enclosure.
  • JP 0116
  • JP 0116

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok but im trying to understand what the freezer trick does . i thought that the freezer trick was for hard ware issues ??ill try it again but does anyone have any other ideas ? maybe like ERD type programs . Im runnig vista but my laptop is running xp so i can use alot of programs.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it's not a hardware issue, why did Best Buy give you a new hard drive?
  • JP 0116
  • JP 0116

Post 3+ Months Ago

They said they ran a test on it . it failed so the drive needed to be replaced. It was free so i didnt ask questions. I guess im just confused on what the problem is . They didnt specify on what the problem was or what was corrupted. Im going to go back to best buy and buy the external enclosure and put in the hard drive again . Its at home in the freezer and ill try again. I also tried ERD but i guess it doesnt like Vista much cause all i had was a blue screen and thats it ..
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, let me know if it works.
  • JP 0116
  • JP 0116

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPDATE .. So i bought the enclosure .. hooked everything up . Booted in ERD . it didnt see the drive .. So i just booted into windows xp and ran a program called recoverymyfiles. Its at home right now reading like 146 millions files or something like that . So i guess its doing something . I have alot of time on my hands to wait lol .. so wish me luck i guess ! lol
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Let us know what happens.
  • JP 0116
  • JP 0116

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ya .. So i tried with ERD in my laptop with XP . didnt see the drive. no go .. had it in the freezer didnt really make a difference . not sure what my other options are .. any other nice software you guys recommend . recovermyfiles found alot but then when i went to get it all . asked me for a serial number and key lol ..

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts