I am having big trouble with ialmrnt5 display driver error.

• felixtree
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: The Shire of Bed

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am using a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop, and all the time I am getting this ialmrnt5 message, and the screen enlarges with pixalated graphics. At first it would happen a few times, I'd just reboot. Now it is driving me completely mental!! I cannot afford a knew machine or even to get some one to look at it. Can someone please help me?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Download and install the latest video drivers for your laptop
  • felixtree
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: The Shire of Bed

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks I have downloaded all the drivers from the Dell website. The Laptop will suddenly freeze, the fan will come on, then the screen becomes enlarges again. I'm so desperate now, can I ask, would you advise me reloading Windows XP over the top?
Thanks in advance.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've had this issue with a couple Dell machines lately. I went to Windows updates, and there was an update for the video drivers. After installing that all was fine.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had this error pop up last week on a Dell Optiplex GX620. I immediately updated the drivers using the update driver button in the device manager and completing the wizard. The wizard found a new driver and installed it. The problem persisted. All of my web searches simply said update the driver or that this is indicative of hardware failure. None of these fixed the problem until #10.

1. Went to dell.com. Updated bios, video driver was the one previously installed when the issue started occurring.

2. went to intel, downloaded package for the chipset. When I ran the exe it said 'can't install for this machine please check manufacturer' or something of the sort. All I could hit was 'OK'.

3. MS send error report said disable hardware acceleration. Turned it off. This caused a BSOD when the ialmrnt5 driver failed. Good job MS.

4. format and restore winxp pro sp2. updated video driver. Dusted the inside of computer.

5. Swapped all peripherals, tried different monitor settings.

6. Tried different bios settings. Basically, I had a video option to use 1MB or 8MB. I toggled these and neither helped.

7. Disabled the chipset driver entirely. Caused BSOD physical memory dump.

8. grabbed a new ialmrnt5.dll from online and copied over to driver directory. No change.

9. Ran a regcure. No change.

*10. I went ahead and updated to SP3 and most current windows driver using the update driver wizard. The computer's been running for a couple of hours now with no incident. Typically, after a few minutes of web surfing and watching videos the display driver would fail so this is hopeful.

There seems to be several at fault with this issue. Though, Dell should really get on this one. Intel wants you to use the manufacturer's driver and dell hasn't done any update atleast for my system. There's plenty of discussions on this topic even with people with brand new computers from Dell that had this issue pop up the first few days of operation. Most of the discussions I read were with people running some type of game. I, however, was just web surfing. I conclude, there is an obvious error in the dll that causes a never-ending loop that may or may not be made worse with a problem from the intel chipset regardless of what the user is using the machine for (playing games, spreadsheets, web-surfing, etc). Some of my readings said intel shipped out defective chipsets knowingly, but you know it's all conspiracy theories. A few people said they called Dell and Dell just sent them new hardware instead of trying to fix the current issue which I guess is good but I imagine those people were still under warranty. In the meantime, just get all your updates from windows along with the most current display drivers.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

No luck. Display driver failed again after about 3 hours of no problems. May just be hardware failure. I have nothing left to update. Updates didn't work for me. Let me know if there's something else I can try.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Chipset for your laptop should be the Intel Mobile 915GM series. Try downloading and installing it from the Intel site Download

The current version is Ver:14.25.50.4764 Date:1/17/2007

Before installing it, uninstall the existing driver by following these instructions.

1) Boot your system to SAFE MODE to uninstall the current driver files. This is the ONLY method to make sure all the old files are gone from the system and Windows will no longer look for them.

2) Once in SAFE MODE, right click on MY COMPUTER and click on MANAGE from the drop down menu. The COMPUTER MANAGEMENT window will open, click on DEVICE MANAGER and find your Intel display adapter. Double click to open the properties for the adapter and then click the DRIVER tab along the top. Near the bottom of the Driver windows there is a button labeled UNINSTALL. Click it and agree to any messages to PROPERLY UNINSTALL the driver that is causing the problem. The system will ask to reboot and once back in Windows the display will not look good because it is using the default VGA driver.

3) Install the driver you have by double clicking on the file and agreeing with all the messages until it is done. It will need another reboot and once back in Windows the problem should be solved.
  • criticalerrror
  • Born
  • Born
  • criticalerrror

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried all of these solutions and none of them worked. Finally, What I did was click on start button
then click on run
then type: C:\windows\system32\drivers
Hit return
then search for ialmnt5.sys (mine only showed ialmnt5 and ignored the extension)
I renamed this file to ialmnt6 (you could even delete the file).

Reboot so that that file unloads itself.

Now my computer does freeze at all and I have a warning on my Intel 82915G. However, my computer stopped freezing when i try and surf the web and watch media content.

This was a last resort to spending money on a new graphics card.
  • lightbringer
  • Born
  • Born
  • lightbringer

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry to resurrect this month old thread, but has anyone had this problem and then NOT been able to reboot their computer?

My girlfriend's family computer (It's an old Dell desktop [~6yr] but I don't know the model on it at the moment) recently started having this problem.

I don't know exactly what triggered it, but the comp had been pathetically sluggish over the previous few days, so I installed Malware bytes and AVG Free to try to see if there was any malicious software installed... Malware found like 40 files, none of which looked to be system files or drivers when I told the program to "clean them". Program needed a reboot to complete the deletion, so I clicked OK and it did its thing.

I walked away and watched some TV, fell asleep, and came back to find the error mentioned above, so I clicked OK, and the comp restarted again...but this time, it won't boot to windows. (Windows XP 32 bit, not sure on SP, but I think it's currently at SP 2)

I tried rebooting several times, each time it loads through the windows splash/OS Load screen like normal, then a BSOD flashed on the screen and it immediately went black afterward not allowing me to copy the error code each time. I did catch part of the IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL TO type error, but that's all I can make out on each reboot.

Any advice would be appreciated. I don't know much about the specs ATM, as I can't get to the machine for a few more hours, but I figured I'd throw this out there to see if anyone had a similar problem and any advice for me.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry, no advice.

My driver would always work after reboot for a few minutes then the display would mess up and sometimes kick a BSOD. However, the BSOD is not uncommon. Yours may just be doing it a bit quicker making it close to boot time and not ever getting into the desktop. Just a guess.

The intel driver wouldn't install for the specific chipset. It told me to use the manufacturer's driver. The Dell driver is the problem IMO.

I read where one person wrote they contacted Dell and Dell was dumbfounded when he decribed the problem. He said Dell wound up sending a replacement, but his computer was newer.

Also, my Dell was a slim design and had no expansion slots. So, most people with this problem could just disable on-board video and add an PCI or AGP graphics card. I think they all had no problems after that.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts