HDD not initializing or showing in explorer

• Craigusad
  • Born
  • Born
  • Craigusad

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, I had ST340014A as prim mast, ST380021A as prim slave Seagate 150GB usb external drive and all was spot on.
I added a WD800BB as sec slave, as drive G, initialized, partitioned and all OK! DVD drive is drive F.
Now drive D, ST380021A does not show up in explorer. It shows in disc management, i click on the initialize button but nothing happens. It continues to show as unknown, 74.50GB, Not initialized.

Can any one help me with this problem, i'm running Windows XP Pro
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• WoRd Of WiSdOm
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Riverside,California

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok i believe i know the culprit. drive either not formatted or partitioned correctly. a screen shot would be helpful
  • fleamailman
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: geneva

Post 3+ Months Ago

curious
you say that the letter is assigned in dishmgmt.msc
but is the driver being recognised in devmgmt.msc too(device manager)
  • Bulldog-bd1
  • Bulldog-bd1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all, newbie here lol ok, i was transferring mp3s from my external hdd, the laptop froze on me so i switched off as i could not do any thing with it, my external drive was still on, when i went back to transferring it said there ws an error, i put the external on my main pc went to manager it came up black tried to initialize and won't allow me, i can't even format it says "Data error cyclic redundancy check" any one heeeeeeelp me out? thks ahead guys.
(win xp sp3) on laptop (vista ultimate on main pc)
Attachments:
error.jpg

The error

Attachments:
mrb initialize.jpg

Initialize

• Bulldog-bd1
  • Bulldog-bd1

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, after trying every way possible with Windows P.E, no joy, i went to Western Digital's site, downloaded there free tools, this also picked up the hdd, it told me that there is to many bad sectors on the drive, i am awaiting a response from the email i sent them @ the moment, looks like it will be a loss on my side of things.

Thank you for your reply.

Data Lifeguard Diagnostics returns error message 8-too many bad sectors. This means that there is a physical fault with the drive and we can guarantee it will function correctly.

We've checked and unfortunately the drive is no longer covered by the warranty which expired end of 2009. Replacing the drive is not possible, our apologies for the inconvenience. lol typical.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts