Help boot Win2000

• rallyman
  • Born
  • Born
  • rallyman

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello everyone,

Here is my problem; I have a hard drive from older Sony VAIO laptop with Win2000 installed. Now, that I got newer VAIO model I want to replace the hard drives. When I replaced it and tried to boot it up, I just get a blinking cursor. I tried to use recovery console but no luck. In DOS mode I clearly see a WINNT folder and can browse its content. Any suggestions how to boot to Win2000?

Thanks,

Otis
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it was hooked up on an ATA cable in the old machine, and an IDE cable in the new machine (or vice versa) it will probably not boot.

You need to make sure you're using the same cable in the new PC to wire it up as you did in the old.

If that's all good, your best bet is boot the Win2K CD and do the system repair. That, I believe, should fix system files.
  • ice3131
  • ice3131
  • Loc: MICHIGAN

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you cant boot from the cd
get 4 floppy disks and make the boot disks
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it's a new Sony VAIO, you can probably boot from the CD just fine (unless it's an illegal copy of the CD - in which case, you're on your own)...

I've not had a PC in the last 6 or 7 years that didn't give me the option of booting from a CD-Rom drive.
  • rallyman
  • Born
  • Born
  • rallyman

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I can boot from CD and actually go through all the recovery reinstallation, but every time I restart the computer without the Win2000 CD I get stuck in boot mode with blinking cursor. I think something is wrong with my MBR.
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: somewere over there

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you havent completely reinstalled a new copy of windows chances are the hd is looking for the old mobo and cant boot without it. i dont know if this works and i doubt its dangerouse dont try this until some feedback comes in. I was told if you remove the betery from the mb and place it back in the bios resets itself and you can boot from the old hd. not sure how it works or if its even tru but its worth a shot.
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

it seems that something is unclear, just start from scratch.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

in most laptops you have to take the thing to tiny little pieces before you can take out the bios battery. I have had to do this a couple of times.

Before you even think about trying to take that thing apart, search as hard as you can for an assembly/disassmebly manual. It will be a great help, trust me. Of 3 times I have had to do this, 1 time I had the disassembly manual. That particular time took less than ten minutes while the other two times took over two hours
  • David
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • David

Post 3+ Months Ago

Howdy,

If i knew anything about that i`d love to help you but sorry i dont maybe the others may help you.

Sorry

David

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts