help computer running slow need assistance

• HisHerbTheWizard
  • HisHerbTheWizard
  • Loc: Fredericksburg, VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey i just built my computer not that long ago i have a amd athlon 3400+ 64 bit chip with an asus k8v motherboard runnin windows xp pro sp2 runnin their firewall with a 200 gig hard drive partioned in to 2 drives and 256 ddr memory runnin spybot search and destroy avg anti-virus zone alarm firewall and spyware blaster so it isnt virus or spyware/adware can any1 help me speed my system up thank you
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• beings
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

MY GOD! get more ram and fast, 256mb is not enough for that system. buy another 256mb stick of the same brand if you have a dual channel ram motherboard.. If you dont have dual channel get a 512mb stick of ram. find out what frequency your ram runs at before you buy though. im guessing you are a gamer, so what video card do you have on that system?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

*smiles....yep...what beings said ^^ Your RAM has to be killing you.
  • HisHerbTheWizard
  • HisHerbTheWizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea i figured it was ram yea my motherboard is dual its 333 i bought a 512 ddr400 ultra but it wasnt compatible wit my board so i gave it to my dad now i got his it sucks i got a matrox graphics millennium pci graphics card i wanna get a radeon x800 platnium but bein 15 and already buyin what i got and made me broke gotta make some more money but no i am not a gamer really just like a high end system but i wanna be able to run doom 3 i heard it takes alot for a system to run it but thanks for yalls help
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i run doom3 on high settings with a radeon 9600 pro 256mb card. I have a P4 2.4ghz running at 2.61ghz, 768mbs of ram ddr266. I get FPS around 30-40 no problem i ran and beat doom3 smoothly.

that system you got up there will run doom3 great... i wouldnt buy a Radeon X800 if you are straped for cash get a 9800 pro 256mbs and save yourself some money... its not realy worth the extra 150-200bucks for the jump to X800 unless you realy got the money. When ever i go for a new vid card I always go for one model lower then what is leading in the video card business... that way you save a ton of money and then you wait until 3 new models to come out and then buy the one lower. SO for me when the next card after X800 comes out i will buy the X800 at a much lower price.

For now just get some more ram.
  • HisHerbTheWizard
  • HisHerbTheWizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok thank you alot i will go out and get me 1 yea i am going to get some more ram in a week or 2 thanks for yalls help
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

you should have a total of 1gig of ram to run that system totaly effective. 768mbs might cut it for a while but you should get another stick of ram after that. So You should get a 512 stick then another 512 stick later on.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts