Help, Pc does not read new ram...

• jennylam
  • Born
  • Born
  • jennylam
  • Loc: ny

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have winMe with an original 128 mb ram pc100 card there, just purchased a pc100 512 ram but the computer does not show the ram at all. When I go to System/performance it still reads 128mb ram.. whats going on?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you checked the specs on the motherboard to make sure it supports 512? Also, did you add the new RAM card in addition to the original 128, or did you remove the 128 and are now using the 512 only? Chances are the Max your mobo will support is 512.
  • jennylam
  • Born
  • Born
  • jennylam

Post 3+ Months Ago

Humm, how do I find out what kind of mother board i have? I know its a silly question, but any way, I tried the first time with the new 512 in addition with the 128, didnt read the 512 on the system/performance, then I took out the 128 and just left the 512. PC does not boot at all.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd bet money that the maximum you can use per slot is 256MB.

I have a system here that has 3 DIMM slots and can handle a maximum of 768MB, 256 per slot (pc100).

What you can do is go to http://www.crucial.com/. You can select which model computer you have and it will tell you exactly what ram you can use and the maximum your system can handle.
  • jennylam
  • Born
  • Born
  • jennylam

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I checked on Crucial.com and through the scan of my computer that i can install up to 1024mb, BUT now it says RD-RAM ?? does that have to do with the chip? The one i have is sdram from kingston..
  • jennylam
  • Born
  • Born
  • jennylam

Post 3+ Months Ago

One more thing the chip 128mb says pc100-222-620 if that helps at all
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your system does indeed use RD-RAM (Rambus) then you cannot use SD-RAM. It's a different type of RAM that is not interchangeable with SD-RAM. http://www.crucial.com/library/ddr_vs_rdram.asp

Before you go out and buy new ram, verify that your system does indeed use RD-RAM. Consult the manual for your system if you have one. If you don't have a manual for your computer, use the System Info utility on your computer to see what motherboard you have and then find out what type of ram it needs via google or similar.

That service at Crucial doesn't scan your system. It just reads a database of different systems and returns the result based on your input.

Good luck.
  • bkummer
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Butler, Pennsylvania

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you go to the manufactures' site usually you are able to put the model of the computer in a search box and it will provide spces about your current system.
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also I doubt that you found a PC-100 chip all I see now days is PC-133 and it use to mix with PC-100 but now it is so high density that PC-100 and PC-133 will not mix causing the ram to not be read right. And I have encountered this multiple times.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts