Help, Hard drive write error

• Kali277
  • Born
  • Born
  • Kali277

Post 3+ Months Ago

My computer quit booting up windows, kept crashing ect. I went to safe mode to delete a new program I had instaled. I did that. Tried to load windows again. Then I got a message saying missing operating system. So I got out the recovery disks. I tried the R recovery option and my computer froze in the middle of it. So I turned it off and tried the F recovery option which is supposed to format my hard drive. It says Preparing recovery partition - please wait then it says hard drive write error! Press any key to continue. What do I do now?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

If the F option worked (format), you have to reinstall from scratch. I don't understand how it would say preparing recovering partition after a format. It would be one or the other. I think you're confused as to the order of the messages.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

it could've been repartitioning the hard drive and then followed it up by formatting the partitions. i'm not sure why itd create more than 1 partition, but thats kind of what it sounds like it was doing.

you're using a recovery disk that came with your computer from the manufacturer? or are you using a windows xp disk?
  • Kali277
  • Born
  • Born
  • Kali277

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had window xp and I upgraded to windows vista. I created the recovery disks. I can't remember for sure but I think it was when I put vista on my computer. (In case vista crashed it)
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

For future reference, please note, that going from XP to Vista is NOT an upgrade in the true sense of the word.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts