Help! ICS and port forwarding

• Atrox
  • Atrox

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
I don't know how to explain my problem, but Ill give it a shot.

Im running a few different servers on my PC, like the Abyss Web Server, and set up port forwarding on the host computer.

The host computer is Windows XP and Im running Vista Home Premium.

I entered the local IP of my PC (192.168.0.131 - Static) and set the port to 80. I know that my ISP isn't blocking port 80 as Ive had the server running on the host computer.

When I enter my public IP (Dynamic) the web page doesn't show up, but when I put localhost, or 127.0.0.1, the web page loads perfectly.

I also forwarded port 9999 (Admin console) and it also doesn't load.

Im sure that Ive missed a step somewhere, but I cant figure out what it is.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Search google for 'hosts file' and follow the steps.
  • Atrox
  • Atrox

Post 3+ Months Ago

Adding the public IP to the hosts file on my PC, if thats what you are talking about, will not solve my problem. It will only give me access from my machine. Besides, I have a dynamic IP so it will be of no help.

I want to access the website and servers from the internet. If you are talking about adding it, to the host machine, how will that help?

"Google-ing" hosts will give me millions of hits, maybe a link to a site that will help me.

Im on IDSN if that is any help. If I could get high-speed internet, I'd do away with ICS all together and buy a router
  • Atrox
  • Atrox

Post 3+ Months Ago

After thinking about your last post for a few hours, are you saying that I should add something like this to the hosts file?

127.0.0.1 localhost
Public IP 192.168.0.201

If this is so, would I be able to put a dns name as the Public IP
like so?

127.0.0.1 localhost
myserver.hopto.org 192.168.0.201

Thinking about this further, have I got the Public and Local IP's around the wrong way?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

https://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/

Actually, I should have recommended dynamic DNS.
Take a look at that first.

I'm sure you were using 192.168.0.201 as an example but just in case you weren't, that's not an external IP.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think dynamic DNS will help if he can't access the servers using his external IP. :scratchhead:
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

If he thinks 192.168.0.201 is his external IP he will never connect to it. He needs to visit a website like http://whatismyip.com/ to get his real external IP.
  • Atrox
  • Atrox

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im using http://www.no-ip.com to create a host name for my external ip as its dynamic, the actual external ip is 144.xxx.xxx.xx.xxx. my internal ip is 192.168.0.201.
When this is set up on the computer, connected directly to the internet, all this is works fine, but its an old computer, and isn't mine, so I cant really use it other than access to the net.

I had a play with the hosts file last night, and it worked after turning off port forwarding. The only problem is that I can't access the website from my own computer using the host name, but can access it from other computers. All I get is the Welcome page you see when you first install the server.
Im yet to test the other servers.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does it really matter if you can't access your web page using the host name? As long as it's accessible to the public, you can always access it using the IP address.

I bet if you use a proxy server, you'll be able to access it by the host name.
  • Atrox
  • Atrox

Post 3+ Months Ago

I spose it doesn't, I'm just confused at why the server is bringing up that page in the first place since I deleted that webpage when I installed the server. Ill just keep trolling the net and see what i can find, and probably go to a more specialized forum

This project was just something to do during the summer holidays, and keep learning at the same time. I love learning about computers and think you can never know too much. It might help me in the future when I do my diploma in IT.

Anyways, I know I may be asking too much here, but what is a good proxy server?

Thanks for the help!
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I never use proxies but if you search google for web proxy servers, you'll find some.
  • Atrox
  • Atrox

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok. thanks again for the help.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts