[Urgent] Help needed. Windows XP can't boot.

• phen
  • Born
  • Born
  • phen

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
First off, I'd like to say that I'm a total newbie.

I downloaded Parition Magic 8 and decided to test it out kinda and tried to make Drive H that had 10000 MB. I was going to take a share of C drive which is 80 GB and make a 10GB seperate drive.

So I went ahead, seemed easy! Rebooted and then it started doing it, I got back and say some Attribute errors, I think it might have been error 1518. Well anyway, I thought "Oh well, doesn't work"

But then I restarted my computer and it restarted itself again, and again. Then I discovered that it wouldn't make it past the Windows XP loading screen at all.

What to do?!?! :(

I also tried doing Last Known Config, but I got so unpatient that I turned i rebooted while it was working, but I thought it had frozen. Sigh! Please tell me all my files are still on the drive.

I am going to try that repair thing through the Windows XP cd, but I don't even know if this is going to work. I need my files urgently for school :( Someone please help!

Thanks a bunch!!!
-ph
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can you get to safe mode or command prompt?
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is what you do ...You say si ,then again you say si ..he it helps
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Last try is go for reboot ,hit last good boot ,then go for last good VGA boot (were going for F8 ,don't forget ,,,,and god speed)
  • phen
  • Born
  • Born
  • phen

Post 3+ Months Ago

None of those methods work :(
How do I start up my windows XP cd? I pop it in but nothing happens, am I supposed to do something?

Someone please help ! !
  • phen
  • Born
  • Born
  • phen

Post 3+ Months Ago

and No I cannot get into Safe Mode, all those lines scroll and it says parittion 1 in there, and then it just restarts again :(
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

To boot to your Installation CD you will need to set your CD Rom as the first boot device. To do this you must enter setup. To enter the CMOS Setup, you must press a certain key or combination of keys during the initial startup sequence. Most systems use "Esc," "Del," "F1," "F2," "Ctrl-Esc" or "Ctrl-Alt-Esc" to enter setup. There is usually a line of text at the bottom of the display that tells you "Press ___ to Enter Setup."

Sometimes your computer whips right past this screen. To slow this down to where you can read it hit the Pause/Break button as soon as you see the first screen appear. This will stop the boot process so you can read which key you are supposed to hit. Hit the Enter button to continue. and enter setup. In general CMOS settings will be the option to change the boot sequence. Set your CD first, Floppy (if applicable 2nd) and hard drive third. Save your settings and exit. Put in your XP CD and reboot. This time you should get a message that says to "press any key to boot from CD" Press any key.

Follow these instructions to perform a repair installation of XP
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If all goes well, that should get you back to Windows. I doubt that your partition attempt worked. The error you mentioned with partition magic is typically when the disk is fragmented and it can't create enough contiguous space for the new partition. Before partitioning in the future you should always run defrag first.

Good luck

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts