help please!! 2 virus from an avi codec!!

• Frankish
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I downloaded an avi codec file on my computer and this came up...two viruses at the same time!! The codec came with that adware Gator-Gain stuff...I couldn' delete the files or remove it...this is freakin me out...
I've shut down my computer and turned it back on right away and scanned everything especially that C drive....I then found nothing...
Does this mean the virus is gone? !
Please help me!! I can't let my files die on me...I got too much stuff on my computer!!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Frankish
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I downloaded two avi codec about 3 month ago on your forum based on recomendations...

These are the two avi Codec
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

the divix isnt the problem, but i would recommend you delet the kl codec, it is one way te can track you if you dowload illegal warez, which i DONOT support!! divx is not where the viruses ame from if you downloaded it from divx's website.(divx is the best one too)

poly
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anything coming from Gator/gain is not necessarily a virus. It's adware and the typical result is pop-up ads when you are surfing the internet based on your browsing habits.
  • Frankish
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

jesus look at this....... :!:
This is not cool...what is that Gator-adware anyway? What kind of damage is this?

• Frankish
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Anything coming from Gator/gain is not necessarily a virus. It's adware and the typical result is pop-up ads when you are surfing the internet based on your browsing habits.

oh...so there's nothing to be worry about>? please tell me so..
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go to Google and type in the word Gator

Number 1 result -- gator's homesite -- of course they have now changed their name to Claria Corporation (I assume to rid themselves of the stigma)
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=gator

Number 2 result from PC Hell -- http://www.pchell.com/support/gator.shtml
Pretty much identifies what it is and what it does and also defines GAIN.(Gator Advertiser Information Network)

Quote:
GAIN helps keep many popular software applications and services free in exchange for delivering ads, information, and software based on the web sites you view.

Unfortunately, GAIN can only be removed by uninstalling the GAIN supported application. You cannot uninstall GAIN directly. Once the GAIN supported application has been uninstalled, GAIN will uninstall itself as well.
  • Frankish
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks...it's good to know you're around ATNO/TW when we need help....(you too Polly) it's raesuring...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*added note -- for those that notice "Claria" cookies in their spyware removal tools like Adaware --- obviously that is Gator. Delete them without a second thought.
  • Inspire
  • Inspire

Post 3+ Months Ago

Frankish wrote:
I downloaded two avi codec about 3 month ago on your forum based on recomendations...

These are the two avi Codec

dont download something with a user of 3 posts.. too suspicious :b
  • gopher
  • gopher
  • Loc: Atlanta

Post 3+ Months Ago

As far as this is concerned ad-aware software like Pest Control and Ad-Aware 6.0 with latest updates...hell even norton 2004 will detect these files from Gator. It will remove a lot of them but for the files that it will not remove just make a list of them and then reboot into safe mode and do a search for those file you have written down. Once you find them you should be able to manually remove them so at least this way it will give you piece of mind. And just make sure that if this kind of stuff bothers you like most other people that you get something that runs real time like Pest control And/or Norton that will examine these files as there downloaded. Then you will help to filter out some of these files that are bad such as viruses and ad-aware. unfortunately there is nothing that will block 100% of it 100% of the time.

Hope this helps out for you :)
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would personally recommend spybot search and destroy, and adaware, they are the two best i have found. they are both freeware. go to google, and type them in and you can find there websites, to download them.

poly

//also can you use ozzu's seach to find stuff like that or will it only search ozzu's forums?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

poly wrote:

//also can you use ozzu's seach to find stuff like that or will it only search ozzu's forums?

The search here only searches OZZU, but it's been mentioned enough times you'll probably get almost as many results as Google *lol
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

k cool didnt no and was too lazy to try... whats new lol

poly

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts