Help on Symantec Enterprise?

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have Symantec Enterprise set up on my work network. All virus scan stuff for all computers are centrally managed on mine via the Admin console.

I also have Central Quaranteen set up on my machine. Problem is, that only MY "Viruses" get sent to Central Quaranteen. I've tried two different known unused ports for "listening" and neither of them work. The closest thing I could find to fix it is a link to a knowledge base article at Symantec that details some known issues with version 8.6 that talks about a port issue. Tried that solution and no joy.

Everything else with the product works fine. I can see when any machine captures a virus file, but none but mine get sent to central quaranteen.

The other bugger is I can't find the solution to "clear" virus history. I captured over 5,000 files when my company got hit with Netsky and it takes forever for my local Symantec to load when I try to run it and/or when I check virus history. They are all deleted and gone -- but I can't clear the history, which I'm sure is what's slowing down the open process.

Thanks for any possible help.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Ragnar78
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ragnar78

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know not how Norton enterprise works...
but i think that a file in quarenteen should stay in its place (in the PC where it was found) and not sent to another centralized quarenteen.
I mean the whole poiint is to stop the virus or anything else from actually doing damage or spreading...isn't centralizing giving it a chance to do this??
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

No once Symantec identifies a virus signature in a file and quaranteens it, there is no longer any risk of it being opened or spreading. The way the enterprise version works is that all computers in the network are centrally managed from my machine. The quarantine server is on my machine and what is supposed to happen is any viruses that are detected should go to my quarantine and not the local workstations. I have it set to listen on port 13000 and the clients are set to send to my computer port 13000. It's just not happening. I've sent an email to symantec about it. Hopefully will get a response by Monday.

Thanks
  • Ragnar78
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ragnar78

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the info...never worked on noron enterprise...

And hope that symantec might help you

Good luck
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

I belong to a private forum I can post this into for you if you dont get an answer ATNO/TW. Just let me know.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts