XP Home on 64-bit ?

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

My neighbor was hell bent enough on having me play some games with them online that they got me a copy of Windows XP home (w/SP2).

The problem is that I have an AMD64 system and I'm worried that this Home edition of XP isn't going to work, and if it doesn't we're stuck with software we can't return, software that wasn't cheap as far as software goes.

They seem to think it will work, I'm not so sure because I've seen versions of XP that explicitly say for 64 bit on them not to mention the copy of Ubuntu I have on here already was an alternate download.
But I'm wondering if perhaps the basic stuff is in place that would allow me to use Windows update to be up and running.

I DO NOT want to open the box until I'm 100% sure, my neighbor paid $200 for it...
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Weblets/0,,783 ... 64,00.html

Does that help any?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

This paragraph brings some hope, but I'm not sure if the bold sentence means that it will run a 32-bit OS, or that it will run 32-bit applications after a 64-bit OS is installed.

About AMD64 wrote:
AMD64 evolves the industry-standard 32-bit x86 architecture to support the demanding 64-bit environment that will enable future generations of computer functionality and productivity. AMD designed the AMD64 platform to allow end users to enjoy reliable, best-in-class performance on the 32-bit software they own today while preparing for a seamless transition to high-performance 64-bit applications. The AMD64 architecture is also designed to enhance the security of your computing environment by integrating Enhanced Virus Protection technology enabled by advanced anti-virus features in Windows XP Service Pack 2 and the upcoming Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know quite a few people that run 32bit OS's on 64bit processors. I don't think you have anything to be concerned with. I run 32bit 2003 server on 64bit Xeons without any hitch.

I have yet to see Windows labeled 64 bit only unless you are talking about the Itanium version of server.

I run 32 bit XP on a laptop with a AMD X2 at home.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jimminy Christmas Microsoft tech support is a freaking joke.
I will never call (866) 234-6020 and ask for an operator again.

Even after getting to an operator it was just some parrot that kept telling me I can only install a retail copy of Windows on one computer.

I know that, I just want to know if this legit copy of Windows someone just paid 200 *peach* dollars for at Office Depot is going to run on my 64-bit system before I open the box and can't return it.

I tried 4 times and four different ways of explaining that to this idiot and all they could do is read some bull *peach* from a card.
I couldn't even get them to direct me to someone who knew anything.

I'm just going to return it, that was pathetic.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

meh, I might not return it if you're using it Grinch.

I will definately never call Microsofts help line again though, that was just plain frustrating despite the fact they spoke perfect English. I probably would have rceived better help from someone in India, at least they know enough to realize they better transfer me to someone else.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It was definately worth 20 minutes of patience opening the box.

I tried it, installation crashed, it's getting returned.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

While looking for something else I ended up at at an AMD Product Information site so I checked into this while I was there and it said difinitively yes the processor I had supports 32 and 64 bit.

Apparently Windows XP just didn't like something about my computer.

grinch, hopefully you're aware I appreciate your help. I don't mean to sound ungreatfull by jumping around to multiple sources of information. :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts