home network access permissions

• davidrab
  • Born
  • Born
  • davidrab

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I have this problem:

I have 4 computers on my home network, all of them connect through Edimax router. 2 of the computers run under XP home edition but and the rest run under XP professional and all on NTFS file system.

I want that one of the computers would'nt have an access to the other 3 computers while the other 3 computers can share everything between them.

I installed on the home edition computers a Permission Manager so it would work exactly like the other 2 computers with the professional edition.

I tried to solve this problem through file sharing permissions but it just wouldn't work. I managed to create a username and a password through permission manager on all of the computers but when i'm trying to connect to one of the computer's drivers through the network it says that I have no permission and there is no log box where I could enter a username and a password.

HEEEELLLLPPPP please...
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I never used permission manager and I don't think you need it. How many users use the machine that you want to leave out of the loop? Is it really the machine you want to block or the users on the machine? Is it one of the XP boxes or Vista boxes.

Each machine has to be set so that a user name and password is needed after it boots. Then when you share the drives, it will ask for user name and password when the share is accessed. Map the drives only to the 3 machines.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts