Home Network Problems

• fredsherbet
  • Born
  • Born
  • fredsherbet

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm trying to set up a basic home network, using a Cable Modem as my internet connecton, attached to a computer (Win XP Pro) via USB. This computer has no problem connecting to the Internet.

I am then trying to connect my other computer (also Win XP Pro) to the first to share files, the printer and the internet connection, via an IBM 8222 series Ethernet Hub. Earlier today, it was all working :D... then it wasn't. Not sure why :s

At the moment, having gone in many circles, I don't seem able to get any communication between the computers. Although i can currently see the other computer in "My Network Places", When i try to view the shared folders on each, it tells me the network address doesn't exist.

Please help! I've spent so long trying to find solutions on the Internet with no luck :(

Thankyou, Fred
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

try to mess around with the hub settings (if any)
another thing is to check all the cables are in the right places, reset the hub a few times to reset things, make sure there is no firewall in place, and last but not least make sure they can at least get on the internet. Another thing is when I was fixing a friends computer (which he still owes me money for fixing) i pluged a ethernet cable in and had to enable the ethernet card for it to work. So make sure that the card is enabled. Go to start,run, then type in cmd,type in ipconfig and make sure you have a ip address.
  • fredsherbet
  • Born
  • Born
  • fredsherbet

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for speedy reply :) will try all that.

I've been messing with IP settings, and i wondered if i should leave windows in charge of IP addresses, or if i should assign my own (192.168.0.x)? Also do i need values in the default gateway, DNS and WINS things?
  • DuckIT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Main thing is though the second PC won't be able to get on the net without some kind of Internet Connectioning sharing. Windows has this built in. You need to enable this before you even consider sharing the connection! Do a search for Internet connection shaing in google and you should get quite a few hits on how to configure this correctly!

Defs put your own addresses. I've always found the windows auto IP thing works terribly. The second PC will need thew first machine as its default gateway so I don't think this will work at all with the auto IP assignment!

S

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts