XP Home SP3 to XP Pro

• devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Trying to upgrade an XP home edition with SP3 to XP Pro. I've already read that I the service packs need to match or rather the upgrade machine needs to have an earlier version. I'm having difficulty finding a Windows XP Pro SP3 Upgrade media with COA. We have a positioned hire that is using some of his own equipment but his machine has Home and I need to get him on my domain. I can't do a full install because we want to keep his programs and files intact. Doing a full backup and then doing a full upgrade is the absolute last resort. Does anyone know a source where I can get a Pro upgrade disc or some advice on what I need to keep in mind? I just don't want to get some pirated or illegal software. Lastly, what do I need to do about the servie packs? Do subversions of SP3 come into play or as long as my upgrade media is SP3 it should work?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you looking for a retail upgrade? What about an OEM upgrade? In other words, if it's a Dell, call Dell, HP, call HP....
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Retail upgrade. I found someone that has a retail upgrade key and a slipstreamed SP3 disk. The computer was custom and has a genuine retail WinXP home which has SP3. I was just making sure I was correct in covering everything to make sure the process went smooth with the service packs and all.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts