hot standby exchange 2000 server?

• w2kxxoxx
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • w2kxxoxx

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi.. My boss want me to implement hot standby server (DR) for the exchange 2000 server. It means when one existing exchange server clashed, the other exchange server can take over immediately by changing DNS MX record and Client exchange server pointing IP? Is that possible. It also means that the two exchange server must synchronize their information store and mailbox entries. Is that possible?? If yes, any URL or document to show me the guide? Thank you very much!!!!
  • DuckIT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

As far as I am aware there are 2 ways of doing this: Implement Microsoft Clustering or use a third party program such as Wansync (http://www.xosoft.com). Both of these solutions are not for the faint of heart & they are both quite expensive. A quick search shows Windows 2003 Enterprise version at around $4k per copy (probably cheaper with a VLP)& I think wansync is about $10k for 2 servers.

I believe you need 2 copies of Windows 2000 Advanced server or Windows 2003 Enterprise (the basic server versions do not have clustering support) for clustering + 2 copies of Exchange. Also you would need two identical servers (not a good idea to try it on different spec servers. These servers should be identical right down to SCSI cards & NIC's), a RAID box that can support SCSI bus sharing (I.E. 2 servers accessing the same partition) or at least a disk device that supports access from 2 servers at the same time. I believe NAS is too slow for this but a SAN should work great if you have one.

I've setup clustering before but I've (thankfully) never had to set up clustering on Exchange. I hear it can be a bitch to do though.

Wansync is fairly nasty too, but the guidelines on the most recent version make it much easier. Although, looking again at your post, Wansync probably would not be for you as it takes some work to switch it over and you discussed immediate & presumably automatic switch over. Wansync is more for hosting a remote disaster recovery server that can be switched over when needed.

There may well be some other software out there that does what you need though.

S
  • w2kxxoxx
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • w2kxxoxx

Post 3+ Months Ago

thank so much for your guidance. May I ask a stupid question? How can I tell whether my windows 2000 server is a advanced server or not? I am not the one to install it previously.
  • DuckIT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Easiest way: Click start and its written sideways down the side of the start menu :D

Techie way: Click Windows key-pause or control panel > system properties. Should be written there I believe (I just use the start method :lol:)

S

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts