How do I access "private" files and folders on an

• Matthew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got to the command prompt, pre-Windows boot, via the recovery console... but could only access the C:\WINDOWS folder! I will move the folders I am trying to access into the Windows folder and try again! :)

Technical details:
Quote:
Restrictions and limitations of the Recovery Console
When you use the Windows Recovery Console, you can use only the following items:
• The root folder
• The %SystemRoot% folder and the subfolders of the Windows installation that you are currently logged on to
• The Cmdcons folder
• The removable media drives such as the CD-ROM drive or the DVD-ROM drive
  • Matthew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Matthew wrote:
I got to the command prompt, pre-Windows boot, via the recovery console... but could only access the C:\WINDOWS folder! I will move the folders I am trying to access into the Windows folder and try again! :)
It worked, and I got in and accessed the files! :) But, I do not have "MOVE" or "XCOPY" or even wildcards to use with "COPY"! :( Can you believe that? I'm not sure how to access and copy all my files and folders, without doing it one by one!
  • Matthew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171, Knoppix worked! :) Thank you!

I was able to copy the files to a USB Drive, but not able to delete them. (I had to copy them to a USB drive because I was not allowed to create new folders on the hard drive in question.) Anyways, know how I can get permission to delete the folder now?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Glad knoppix worked out.

Your issue is so bizarre, you could try deleting it from Safe Mode or Recovery console.
  • _vladish_ro_
  • Born
  • Born
  • _vladish_ro_

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, ok. i had the same problem. i had a user. i made all my files and folders private and i reinstalled my windows. after the install you couldn't access the files and folders of the old user. he said ( the computer, windows etc. ) that the access is denied. i tell you something. the problem can't be resolved with just activating simple file sharing. that option can be used just in some cases like: i made all my files and folders private but i didn't reinstalled the windows. you can use that option just if you are on the same account which you've made all your files and folders private and you want to make your files like in the old times when the files didn't we're private.
to resolve this type of case you should enter the safe mode by pressing F9 before the windows starts( that windows where appears the boot cd and other ). when you are in safe mode you must go to documents and settings, right-click on the denied user ( your old user etc ) and click security. from there you can change it's owner, the people who can access the folder etc. also you must check one box if you want to apply this setting to all files and folders ( if you don't want to stay to ''unprivate'' file to file...your choise! .) ( i don't know which box because i didn't had this problem since now one year , sorry.). when you've gained acces to all of your files you can copy them in another place because i'm not sure that when you enter the windows ( not in safe-mode ) you could access them...i don't know.
that's all. i hope you'll solve the problem . bye!
  • ImSWEwhoAreU
  • Born
  • Born
  • ImSWEwhoAreU

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just solved this problem for a computer that I am working on for a customer....

This is a windows XP pro, but it should work for Home also.

1. go to the folder that contains the folder you want to access.
2. right click and select properties.
3. click the security tab.
4. check "ALLOW" 'full control'.
5. click the advanced button.
6. click the owner tab.
7. select the owner you wish to change the folder to.
8. check the replace owner on subcontainers and object tab.
9. select apply.
10. close window.
11. select apply
12. close window.

You should now have full access to everything in this folder.

Beware! This process changes all permissions so that ONLY THE USER (or possibly every user on the computer(one user on this computer)) you select has control over these files!

Afterwards, if you wish to limit access to these files do the usual thing thru properties on the files or folders you wish to limit access to.

Good luck!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 36 posts