How Can I Remove "SYSTEM SECURITY" rogue malware?

• Involved
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: New York City\Metro Area

Post 3+ Months Ago

The maddening program "System Security" :twisted: somehow infiltrated my hard drive and now I cannot get rid of all of the popups warning me about all the viruses, etc., etc., that have infected my computer--and, of course, can only be remedied by purchasing the program. (Sort of like: "Buy our program so you can get rid of the malware we sent you!")

I've seen a whole bunch of sites that offer suggestions (most are ads for clean-up programs), but nothing that looks do-able without buying a program or by manually getting into my registry, which I absolutely do not want to risk doing.

Also, I am wondering how the program got through my Windows One LiveCare program.

Help! Thanks! :D

Involved1 (aka David)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Give MalwareBytes a try

http://www.malwarebytes.org

Download, install, update and run. If it still exists after running that post a HiJack This log and we will take a look at it for you.
  • Involved
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: New York City\Metro Area

Post 3+ Months Ago

Absolutely right, Grinch2171. I tried that a short while ago and it appears to have worked perfectly (fingers crossed, LOL). It seems so rare that one of these types of programs actually DOES eliminate all the bad files it finds during a scan--without, that is, you paying for the program first.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

MalwareBytes is by far the best scanner out there in my opinion and others here share that opinion.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts