How to convert PST to CSV?

• s15199d
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: NC, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I need to convert my Outlook Contacts from a *.PST to *.CSV so I can consume them elsewhere.

The import/export option in Outlook is disabled by our sys-admin, so I had to do a work around just to get the *.PST. That rules out using Outlook to simply File>>Export>>To CSV

I've scoured Google and Sourceforge for free options.

So far I've found:
1) http://www.processtext.com/abcoutlk.html
This product has a free trial, but doesn't seem to work. It only captures 10 of my 160 contacts and doesn't pull all of the contact info.

2) http://www.systoolsgroup.com/address-book-recovery.html
This product has a free trial that works like a champ, but only allows you to export 15 contacts.

I guess I could use option #2 eleven times and get what I need, but there's must be a better more efficient way.

Any suggestions?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• s15199d
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Converting the *.PST to a Windows Address Book aka WAB would also be suitable. B/c from the WAB I can use Outlook Express to convert to *.CSV

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is this usable ?
http://www.five-ten-sg.com/libpst/rn01re01.html
  • s15199d
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

If there's a way to go from mbox to csv...then yes Joebert your offering would answer my query.

A quick Google didn't return any such apps.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Even the results I would expect to be in a language only programmers would understand, it seems the common answer is to find a way to do it in Outlook somehow. :scratchhead:
  • s15199d
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks joebert.

Yea, I started looking into enabling the import/export function.

Every post I've read so far suggests that the import/export feature wasn't installed. But, I know that's not true in my case. We use to have the ability, but it has since been disabled.

I did find one seemingly viable solution, but it was way over my head.

I'll keep digging...in the meantime i'm now taking suggestions on how to :

1) Convert *.PST to *.CSV
2) Convert *.PST to Windows Address Book WAB
3) Enabling the Import/Export Feature on Outlook 2007 (with the knowledge that the feature is installed, but disabled)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sent you a PM with my email addy. Send me your PST and I'll convert it for you. I think it's ridiculous that your admins disabled import/export in Outlook. Can't think of a single good reason why they would do that.
  • s15199d
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

THANKS A MILLION ATNO/TW !!!

Apparently our lawyers think that it's a liability to allow employees to export their emails/contacts. The policy change came a few years ago after we did an exhaustive examination of File Retention Policy.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have your email Might take me a little bit to get to it. Problem solving at the moment.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

The PST files you've been sending me keep coming up empty. I'm thinking perhaps it's because they are being saved on your Exchange Server and not on your local machine. Read this
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287070

Follow those instructions. Most likely you'll need to follow the instructions for backing up a pst file that is located on an Exchange Server.

Once you have it email that to me.
  • s15199d
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO thanks for all your help. I later confirmed that the PST that I sent you that you were unable to read...did in fact have my contacts in it. So, I'm not sure what our disconnect was. Maybe version incompatibility? I'm running Outlook 2007.

But, here was my work around albeit by no means an answer to the original question.

I shared (right-click share) my contacts with a colleague who did have the import/export feature enabled in his File menu. He then was able to export my contacts to CSV.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

It was most likely version compatability then. I'm using 2003. Glad you got it tho.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts