How to disable bios warning screen

• zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi. I'm running a Vista Home Premium on my Acer Aspire 9300 (piece of crap) Anyways, I picked up a trojan the other day. This thing is nasty. It won't let me do a virus scan, burn a DVD, connect a flash drive or upload anything to my remote server. Every time I try to do anything like that it gives me the blue bios screen. It will however allow my to connect to the net via Internet Explorer. I get a message (in Internet Explorer) saying I have a virus or spyware and to download something from them to remove it. I'm certain this will make things worse. What I would like to do is disable the blue bios screen so that I can either run a complete scan and get rid of this thing or copy my files I need to. The blue screen suggest removing any new hardware or software and disabling the bios warning. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to to this. I hit F8 at startup and I get a bios screen but I don't see anything that says "disable bios screen or virus warning". Can someone help? If this has been posted already, please forgive me. I'm a little short on time and i wanted to get this posted before I go to work.

Thanks again.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's not a BIOS screen. It's the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD). You said that you can't do anything, except open IE. I guess that means that you can get to the desktop. Have you tried to open the task manager? Right click on the taskbar and left click on task manager. Then click file, run, type msconfig and press enter. Go to startup and disable all. Click apply. Then reboot and see if you can run any scans. Update your anti virus program and run it.
Let us know if you could do that much.
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPDATE:

Okay here is the exact message I get:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

A driver has overrun a stack-based buffer. This overrun could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of this machine.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information
***STOP: 0X000000F7 (0X0031002E, 0X000010A3, 0XFFFFRF5C, 0X00000000)
Collection data for crash dump...
Initializing disk for crash dump...

I discovered that in SAFE MODE I am able to burn DVD's. So at least I can back up my most important stuff. But as soon as I attach any USB device, I get the blue screen. Also if I try to create recovery disks in SAFE MODE, I get the same message. As of right now, I can open up all programs and even work on files. But anything remotely related to copying or uploading to internet, I get the message. If anyone can shed light on this I would appreciate it. In the mean time, I'll be burning DVD's. I really don't want to reformat. Oh also, when I try to do a virus scan, I get this message. And I can't install any new software.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have to find the conflict. Try to open the device manager. Look for any red or yellow marks.

Also, try to open the event viewer. Look for error messages in all three logs.
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
You have to find the conflict. Try to open the device manager. Look for any red or yellow marks.

Also, try to open the event viewer. Look for error messages in all three logs.

Thanks. I will try this. I really don't want to do a hard reformat if I can help it. Hopefully I can burn a few more DVD's. Thanks again. And I will be sure to post my results. ANd I did turn off all the start-up items. Runs a lot faster. Will take a hard look at items that I can keep off once this virus is taken care of.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts