How do I Format with Windows XP Pro?

• MC_44
  • Born
  • Born
  • MC_44

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can someone please tell me how to format my hard-drive?? I am currently using windows XP pro. Is there a web site that has it step by step?? Any help is much appreciated.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

When you boot up your computer put your installation CD in for windows XP. It should then boot up to the windows setup area for which you can create and delete partitions, and format your hard drive with ntfs or fat32.
  • MC_44
  • Born
  • Born
  • MC_44

Post 3+ Months Ago

After i get that far what do i need to type?? or do..??
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just walk through the setup and it should prompt you on what to do next. I found another way though directly through Windows XP if you want to know that, here it is:

Partition and Format you hard disk:
<ol>
<li>Log on as Administrator or as a user in the Administrators Group. You must have administrator privileges to continue.
<li>Start the Disk Management utility (Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Administrative Tools , and then double-click Computer Management, click Disk Management).
<li>In the Disk Management window, complete one of the following procedures, and then continue to step 2:
<ul>
<li>To create a new partition, right-click unallocated space on the basic disk where you want to create the partition, and then click New Partition.
<li>To create a new logical drive in an extended partition, right-click free space on an extended partition where you want to create the logical drive, and then click New Logical Drive.</li>
</ul>
<li>In the New Partition Wizard, click Next.
<li>Click the type of partition that you want to create (either Primary partition , Extended partition , or Logical drive), and then click Next .
<li>Specify the size of the partition in the Partition size in MB box, and then click Next.
<li>Decide whether to manually assign a drive letter, let the system automatically enumerate the drive, or do not assign a drive letter to the new partition or logical drive, and then click Next.
<li>Specify the formatting options you want to use by using one of the following procedures:
<ul>
<li>If you do not want to format the partition, click Do not format this partition , and then click Next.
<li>If you want to format the partition, click Format this partition with the following settings, and then complete the following procedure in the Format dialog box:
<ol>
<li>Type a name for the volume in the Volume label box. Note that this is an optional step.
<li>Click the file system that you want to use in the File system box.& One can change the disk allocation unit size, and then specify whether to perform a quick format, or enable file and folder compression on NTFS volumes.</li>
<li>Click Next (format instructions are below).</li>
</ol>
</ul>
<li>Confirm that the options that selected are correct, and then click Finish.</li>
</ol>
Format:
<ol>
<li>In the Disk Management window, right-click the partition or logical drive that you want to format (or reformat), and then click Format.
<li>In the Format dialog box, type a name for the volume in the Volume
label box.
<li>Click the file system that you want to use in the File system box. If you want, you can also change the disk allocation unit size, specify whether you want to perform a quick format, or enable file and folder compression on NTFS volumes.
<li>Click OK .
<li>Click OK when you are prompted to format the volume. The format process starts.</li>
</ol>

I found this information here:

http://www.comusolv.com/support/printmodule/pfxp.htm
  • MC_44
  • Born
  • Born
  • MC_44

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can please tell me how to format in DOS..?? I'm having some trouble doing it through windows XP pro.

Any help is much appreciated

M C
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well Windows XP does not have DOS. If you use an older windows bootdisk you might be able to get into a dos that way. Normally you would format by typing the following command

format c: /S

I am assuming c is the drive you are wanting to format. However I have a feeling this will not work if your partition is NTFS, however if its FAT32 it will probably work.

You can also delete and make partitions from dos by typing this:

fdisk

and it will take you into an interface where you can mess with your partitions.

Otherwise your last option would be to boot with your Windows XP CD like I mentioned before and go through the setup and delete partitions and format there. You can do both there. Its very easy, you just look at whats on the menu on the bottom after you enter the setup area. Its like the first thing that prompts you after you agree to their terms and conditions, and there is really no way around it.
  • guitrspaz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • guitrspaz
  • Loc: Baltimore, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

no dos involved...the disc asks you if you want to format the hard drive before you installif you follow the instructions, you'll be able to install before you install your new os. read carefully
  • Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ft Worth TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea, go into the bios settings, and set it to boot from cdrom. then, put your windows xp disk in, it will ask you to push any key to boot from cdrom.. then, tell it to install/setup winxp, then you have to choose which partition you want it on. in the case you only have 1 partition, select it, then it will ask if you want to install on that, and tell you that the original OS may be unusable afterwards. so, you can tell it to install anyways, and it will tell you u need to format.

from there, just follow the rest of the directiobs. hope this helps, bigweb pretty much covered it for you. maybe you didnt understand what he meant, or maybe you are already past this and Im a bit late... lol
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

welcome to ozzu sallyanne! :)

I split your post out of this thread into it's own topic. I think
your question is excellent and should be looked at on it's own for best
answers.

You can get to it here --
http://www.ozzu.com/viewtopic.php?t=19264
  • sallyanne
  • Born
  • Born
  • sallyanne

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

I was reading your info. I'm new to WXP Pro. Can you explain right from baby steps for the following problem:

I have Windows XP Pro. One 5GB C Drive partition and one 15GBB D Drive partition. I want to increase the 5GB partition to 7GB or whatever.

Is Partition Magic the best tool? Easiest? What precautions should I take? i.e. uninstall NAV2004?

Can this be done from WXP Pro CD-ROM? If so, how ? Please describe even the step of how to boot from a cd-rom and what to type. Assume I no nothing please

Thank you very much.

SA

ok, so I found that I wanna use Partition MAgic so yeah, please advise as to how to properly use it and what to do to make sure it works as it should. No software conflicts etc.

Also, after a couple of years should I just format? How do I make 2 partitions while formatting?

Thanks
  • Kania7s
  • Born
  • Born
  • Kania7s

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, I have a TON of viruses. I got a few worms...forget the names only 1 is WORM_YaHa.k or something. It erased my driver settings so I am stuck at 4 bit color and 800x600 resolution. It will not let me open any .exe files so the CD is no good. What should I do?

Thanks,
Kyle Kania

(Happy Holidays)
  • whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

how long have u had this worm. becuase a while back windows had the biggest error they have ever made. it was like you shut down then start up in safe mode. then shut down again and disable the graphics card. then you should be home free to do some stuff that you normally cannot do. Like try and get something to get rid of that worm
  • Kania7s
  • Born
  • Born
  • Kania7s

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had somethig simalar in October, but though I had it fixed. Then It started up WORSE again like 2 weeks ago, I been using my beat up PC since....
  • whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Kania7s wrote:
Yes, I have a TON of viruses. I got a few worms...forget the names only 1 is WORM_YaHa.k or something. It erased my driver settings so I am stuck at 4 bit color and 800x600 resolution. It will not let me open any .exe files so the CD is no good. What should I do?

Thanks,
Kyle Kania

(Happy Holidays)

In progress. I am trying to help him. i will post the convo after i am done helping him. that way if this happens again you can read wat we did and see wat may be a good idea to try
  • whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.freewebs.com/teamchaosnewsite/helper.html

kyle and i started @ 8:40 and we finished off around 11:40. it was hard work
  • brian

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey man, ive just been tryin to reformat my PC which has XPpro on it, ive read the previous posts but.. when u right click on the drive(in disk management) i dont get a format option just a 'convert to dynamic disk'. that sound weird to u?
thanx - brian
  • In Tech Trouble
  • Born
  • Born
  • In Tech Trouble
  • Loc: T.O.

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi i need some help to format xp pro and install xp home but i cant get onto mi desktop

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts