how to install AD U&C and system manager in w2k pro??

• w2kxxoxx
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • w2kxxoxx

Post 3+ Months Ago

can we install AD User &Computer and Exchange 2000 system manager in w2k pro PC?? If yes.. how to do it??
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• DuckIT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah no probs. Its on your Windows 2000 server CD in the I386 directory. Its called Adminpak.msi. It *may* also be in your %Systemroot%\System32 path on the server.

Personally I prefer just to use Terminal Services to do all this, but these tools are good if you need more than 2 users do admin on the AD at the same time (TS only allows 2 simultaneous users unless you pay for more)

S
  • w2kxxoxx
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • w2kxxoxx

Post 3+ Months Ago

I want to ask about this functionality because I remember when we were using Exchange 5.5 in my previous company, we can assign different people to have different right limit when they are using Exchange administrator. For example, helpdesk group can only create email account and etc. Do we still have this kind of function in Exchange 2000? If we let helpdesk to terminal service into exchange server, they can do whatever they want ?? mmm.. ? For exchange 2000 system manager installed in W2K pro, we need the w2k server CD? or Exchange 2000 CD?
  • DuckIT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok in that instance you probably wouldn't want the helpdesk having server access (although you could probably tie down access rights if you really wanted to to it that way)

I'd guess you won't need to give helpdesk access to the Exchange 2000 system tool itself as none of the account management is done within that now, its all through the users & computers MMC. You do need the special Exchange MMC extensions though, and yes I believe these are on the Exchange 2000 disc if you install the Exchange system tool on a W2K machine (although they won't actually need the system tool, i believe thats what installs the special users MMC) you should also get a new version of the users & computers MMC that has the extra Exchange functionality.

From distant memory I think you run the Exchange install as if you were loading a new server on the W2K pro machine, but just unselect everything except the managment tool.

Been a while since I done it though :lol: If you have probs reply and i'll did out my Exchange disc and work out how to do it.

S

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts