How do I install Windows over a network???

• SPDE
  • Born
  • Born
  • SPDE
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have an old laptop from Fujitsu (300 MHz, 64 mb sdram, 4,3GB, 10MBps 3com) without a floppydrive and a cddrive. So I want to install Windows over a network! Is this possible? And in that case, How?

//SPDE
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

is there any OS loaded on it right now?
  • SPDE
  • Born
  • Born
  • SPDE

Post 3+ Months Ago

No... I bought it second hand... although it does complain about invalid boot disk (although in swedish) each time I start it... But it doesn't even have a floppydrive, so how can it complain??? :?:
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

The invalid boot disk message is referring to the hard drive. Because there is no OS loaded. You pretty much need at least a floppy drive to boot the machine so you can do a network install. If you do get a floppy drive you can go to http://www.bootdisk.com and get a network boot floppy image. Or if you had an adapter, you could hook the laptops hard drive into a PC and load the OS that way. The adapters are around $6.00 US I think. Sorry I couldn't be anymore help. :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

From the same link ModernDestroyer provided, you can convert floppy bootdiscs to CDROM:

http://www.bootdisk.com/nero.htm

Then boot from CD to start your OS install. This assumes you have access of course to a computer with a burner that does have a floppy drive.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

are you sure he has a cd rom?? i read and reread his post several times
and not sure he even has one.

booting to a cd is a great idea, so just make sure your bios is set for that
as well. I assume you get a bios screen to get to your setup.
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

SPDE wrote:
without a floppydrive and a cddrive

I was under the impression he had neither floppy or cdrom. But he is going to have to get one or the other to get an OS load from his network. If there was a way to have the network broadcast a command.com file, then maybe you could set the BIOS to look for a LAN connection to boot from. I don't know if that would even work but it is worth a try.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah not sure.... :?

what about removing the HD and formatting it elsewhere?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

My server here has neither a floppy drive or cd-rom drive, so what I did was took my cd-rom from my personal computer and connected inside the server so I could install the O/S. Once the install was complete I took the CD-ROM back out. Another alternative you might think about is buying an external CD-ROM that you can connect via USB.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

My bad -- I overlooked that. I saw the missing floppy, but missed the CD ROM part. Looks like Bigwebmaster has the easiest solution. I'm trying to read fast and catch up on things. Absolutely incredible how many posts accumulate when you miss a few days! *lol
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah but that's a good thing :) means people are here.

my only worry about bigweb's solution idea is whether it's the same
kind of connection as a normal tower pc is. Sometimes I've found laptop
hardware to be completely different.

I think it's the best idea to go with though.
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

there is an adapter to put laptop HD into regular pc's, they run about $6.00 if you can find them. I got mine at a computer swap meet. One side is a regular 40 pin for an IDE cable, the other side fits right inside the connector for the laptop HD. There is also a power connector that will fit on a regular 12v connector (same connector for HD's and CD-Rom's).
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

sweet problem solved then! now....

where's SPDE so they can get their answer!?!
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I feel I must bring this to light, I had mentioned the adapter in my second post right at the end. :D
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

to be honest, when I read your post about the adapter, I thought you
were talking about connecting the laptop to the pc in a network-way.

but now that I've re-read it, I see what you mean. sorry bout that! :oops:
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

no problem :D , at least we came up with a solution to his problem :D
  • SPDE
  • Born
  • Born
  • SPDE

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry... I've been stuck on a school-camp (in the middle of nowhere) for a few days! No PC! :cry: Thank's for all the help, I guess I'll have to get hold of either a CD-rom, floppy-drive or an adapter! :D Though, is ModernDestroyer's idea possible? It would help, because swedish computer stores are CRAP!!! (They don't have anything) :D
ModernDestroyer wrote:
If there was a way to have the network broadcast a command.com file, then maybe you could set the BIOS to look for a LAN connection to boot from.

//SPDE
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

on my motherboard my bios do allow me to switch from booting from my cd-rom drive to a lan, u might be able to as well, but i never tried it. it may take all the data it needs from the windows on the other computer
im no expert, u got nothing to mess up lol, u aint even got an os ;)
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

kalbal -- when you boot to the network, you're gonna want to attach to a
shared cd-rom with the setup disk (or a folder with it copied) so you can
run the install. Maybe that's what you meant, but when i read your post,
it sounds like you want to extract an existing windows directory or
something. Just wanted to be clear that it would never work if you did
that. Otherwise, you've got the right idea. ;)
  • a.offord
  • Born
  • Born
  • a.offord

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Was looking at your post, but no one actually said how to install windows across a network?

ta.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well a year later, I actually think I can answer this. On a simple peer to peer network I've never seen how this is possible. The primary problem is that your network card on the computer you are trying to create an installation on needs to be able to communicate with the computer that has the installation disk or files. However, if you are on a Windows 2000 or 2003 domain this is quite doable. Think about it. Some system admins have to install hundreds of these at a time. They do it with unattended installs and usually use a combination of 2 Windows server services - Setup Manager and Remote Installation Services (RIS).

Both are much too complex to explain in a forum post but you can read about unattended installs and these services on the web. A very excellent resource if you can get your hands on a copy is either Mastering Windows 2000 Server or Mastering Windows 2003 Server, both by Mark Minasi. He devotes nearly an entire chapter in both books to this process.

I am aware of an open source tool that roughly does the same thing but I've never used it and can't really speak for how well it does:
http://unattended.sourceforge.net/

I know that doesn't really explain a detailed approach to how to do it, but as I said it is rather complex to set up and get correct so you don't botch your install. Hopefully that will get you headed in the right direction.
  • a.offord
  • Born
  • Born
  • a.offord

Post 3+ Months Ago

well thank you, as a sixth form student setting up a server seems a little out of reach at the moment! i was hoping i could just use a plug and play network card and initilize the setup from a NAS device. but thank you you have been most helpful. i will certainly have a look at those books your mentioned.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a little Toshiba Libretto 70ct that I use to console into routers, switches, telephone switches, all sorts of stuff. It is extremely handy, and fits in my BDU pocket!

Anyway, this has no CD-ROM drive. It has a floppy, but i didn't feel like installing Windows 98 over floppys. What I ended up doing is making a null modem serial cable and transfering Windows 98 setup over that. I made a boot CD for my computer which contained PROCOMM and all the 98 files, and made a boot floppy for the Libretto with PROCOMM as well. I set the files to copy over (180mb if I recalll) using the KERMIT protocol, went to bed, and when I woke up, I installed 98 with no problem straight off the hard drive.

I can provide more details if you want to try this route.
  • ntfloppy
  • Born
  • Born
  • ntfloppy

Post 3+ Months Ago

hello..
i am new to the whole forum scene... here is my solution...
I am pretty sure that his notebook has the option to boot from a USB disk. Configure the notebook to boot from USB. Then, create a bootable USB disk. Once booting, give it the network path.. Voila.. should work.
  • Krogoth
  • Born
  • Born
  • Krogoth
  • Loc: Steel City, PA suckas!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's my dilemma.

I have a laptop with out a cd drive, or an operable OS (RedHat 7.0 is not compatible with my vid card, all I get is the kernel). I'd like to install win2k pro on that machine. I have the CD, and another computer. I was wondering if I could find a way to boot my laptop to the shared cd drive? Can anyone think of something?

I've tried using a network boot disk and I can access the cdrom and I can use winnt.exe, but when the laptop reboots, it boots to the floppy again or to my old RedHat OS.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 25 posts